Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wellso and acan trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellso and acan trouble
    Posted: July 22 2010 at 8:31pm
In the last month or so I added a nice green/purple wellsohpyilia as well as a small acanthastrea frag.  Both have been doing very well until the last week or so.  Now neither is hydrating as much as before, and the acan actually looks like it's receding a bit.  The acan frag has fallen on its face a couple of times till I finally glued the plug to the rock.  I'm trying to figure out what may be causing this.  I know my calcium and magnesium are a tad on the low side and I'm dosing to bring the levels up.  Other parameters are good.  Any ideas?

Here is the wellsophylia about a month ago.

Wellso now. (note: color is still good but doesn't show in this cell phone pic)

Note the cyanobacteria. The wellso has done great before with this much cyano, but could it be irritating it?

Acanthastrea now

90G Mixed Reef
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 12:01am
I know acans dont get very happy when your mag is off, they also like lower light. Try getting it up and see if they get better.

Edited by tcfab - July 23 2010 at 12:01am
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Deluxe247 Deluxe247 wrote:

I know my calcium and magnesium are a tad on the low side and I'm dosing to bring the levels up.  Other parameters are good.  Any ideas?

You are on the right track, but without specific test results, our comments would be like shooting into the dark.

What is the filtration in this tank? A full tank pic is also helpful. Other coral doing okay?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 6:37pm
Here are the levels I have tested:

Nitrate: <2 mg/l
Alkalinity: 9.0 dKH
Calcium: 340 mg/l
Magnesium: 1170 ppm

That test is a few days old, and since then I have dosed magnesium and calcium and will test again in about a week.

All my other corals are doing really well, but most are softies (xenia, mushrooms, zoos). I have a long-tentacle anemone that's doing great.  The only other LPS coral I have are a couple of frogspawn heads, and some candy, both of which are thriving.

Here's a quick full tank shot for reference

90G Mixed Reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 6:40pm
I would test it sooner if you want to save anything. Your calcium and mag are way low.

Edited by bugzme - July 23 2010 at 6:48pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 2:19am
I dont think is a tank issue if it was most if not all the corals will have a sign of sickness. what is your ph? you might do a water change to bring those numbers up. They look ok.

I got to say that is one pretty awsome tanks. what type of lights are you running?

Edited by SGH360 - July 24 2010 at 2:20am
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 1:10pm
I have to disagree. Where most other corals in the tank are soft they don't require the water parameters to be as well managed. In this case a water change might do more harm than good. I would suggest testing your ca/mg levels again to make sure you dosed correctly, I would also raise your alk slightly to 10 or 11 as 9 is borderline low.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 1:33pm
I agree with Steve.
You are correct that the Cyano can be irritating to coral. It can irritate both directly and indirectly because of Hermits bumping into it while they eat the Cyano.

The Acan is probably irritated by two things. Something in the water and something not in the water. Confused
In The Water
Is AC being used to remove irritating aleopathic chemicals from the water?
Not In The Water
Adding Alkalinity and Mg to the water is in process. What are the Alk and Mg now?

What about the sump? Is there a Refugium and how deep and what kind of sand is in it? Can you please post a Pic?

I believe that 2-3 quarts of Oolitic sand placed under the existing sand in the display will help eliminate the extra nutrients on which the Cyano is feeding. This will also improve water quality fairly quickly and lead to a longer term improvement in overall tank health. Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 1:33pm
I haven't tested pH yet since I ran out of tests, but I'll get more soon.

As for lights, I have a very unique setup.  I'm running 2 x 300W Halogen (not MH) bulbs with blue color correction filters, and 2 T5-NO actinics to compensate for the yellow halogens.  I set it up like that a few months ago to instantly increase my intensity for an anemone that was fading away, but I didn't have the money to buy metal halides.  Right now I'm saving up funds to upgrade my lights to either MH or some type of LED setup.
90G Mixed Reef
ehender634 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehender634 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 2:20pm
I had the same problem with all 3 of my acan colonies. I found out that my bicolor angel and blue hippo tang thought they tasted good. I had to move them to a different tank. Just a thought to keep on eye on your fish.
180 gal mixed reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic