Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding coral q's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding coral q's
    Posted: July 29 2010 at 1:16am
I have just a few random questions about feeding corals...mostly LPS corals...but I know most corals don't require feeding, I want to do it because its entertaining and I hope that perhaps it helps their condition be as best as possible....anyways now for the qs->

1.  I use a turkey baster to feed my acans, duncans, and candy canes.....has anyone found a turkey baster or some other device that is similar but really long.....I would love not making a water dripping mess each time i feed with my arm submerged.

2.  About 15 minutes after lights are out is when my corals feeders are extended....I would like to feed them with the lights on...is this not possible?  Can I train them to think its feeding time with lights on?  My duncan is willing to take mysis after lights out but doesn't seem to be interested with the lights on.....then again I am just now trying to feed them for the first time the last couple days.  Food just bounces off the candy cane and acan unless tentacles are extended...which never seems to be until dark.  Just would like the watch the process with light!

3.  If I feed one head of acan, duncan, candy cane, will the food and nutrients reach the rest of the heads and coral or does just that one head benefit? Probably a stupid question, but it crossed my mind.....

4. Frogspawn and hammer coral, what do you guys feed them?  I have tried mysis, but they don't appear to "grab" on to it....wrong kind of food?

5.  Probably for SPS thread, but i have some cyclopeeze and tried to baster up my SPS....doesn't seem like they absorb or grab on to any of it with their tiny polyps....is it pointless to feed sps?

Advice, Experience, and Opinions needed!  Thanks
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 2:22am
what do you mean not all corals do not need to feed of course they do, even photosynthetic corals although they dont need it to survive feeding all corals will improve their growth and coloration. just like us humans we alone require just sugar and water to live but we wont grow or look as good.

I have acans that wont grab food so i turn all the lights of for 15 mins this encourages my corals to sweep their tentacle i turn on the lights.

What i do to filter all my corals is to turn off the overflow and put the food on the powerhead for around 30 mins of course is not as effective as direct feeding but thats the lazy way i do it.

What i seen on feeding just one head of acan candy cane etc i see that head splits faster than its brothers.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 12:10am
1. Kent Marine Sea Squirt

2. You can train your corals to be open during the day, mine all are, even my sun polyps and dendros. Just feed your fish and then wait for the feeding response in your corals and then feed them. Do this consistently and they will be open in the day.

3. Feed each head individually if at all possible.

4. Cyclopeeze, BS, Oyster Eggs, Golden Pearls etc.

5. SPS respond as much to feeding as any other coral does, they just need micro foods like oyster eggs, golden pearls, or phytoplankton (phyto paste)

I'll try to post some pics of my corals here for you tomorrow, and a detailed list of my feedinf routines. 

Edited by CapnMorgan - July 30 2010 at 12:11am
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 12:38am
Thanks for the advice Capn, looking forward to seeing those pics!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 1:25pm
I don't spot feed at all. Too old to stay up that late. LOL But I do dump alot of food in every other night after lights out
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 4:40pm
I have been feeding my tank a little coral frenzy a few times a week. I just mix it with tank water in a cup so it will dissolve and then dump it on the powerhead. Its ground up really fine and has all kinds of good stuff for them.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 4:55pm
Here are the pics of some of my corals. Pretty much all of my corals are open for feeding most of the day, but here are some of the better examples (excuse the quality, I was in a hurry LOL)

Sun Polyps open in the daytime

Red Welso with feeding tentacles extended

Purple Frilly Gorgonian

Yellow Finger Gorgonian

Three Shots of Acans all open for feeding

Christmas Tree Worms filter feeding during the day

Pink Birdsnest Mini colony about 15 min after feeding my fish

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies