Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potassium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chosen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chosen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potassium
    Posted: July 29 2010 at 3:05pm
Anybody dose potassium?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 3:10pm
I think before you dose potassium you should find out if your salt can replace it through water changes. If not then I would look into dosing it. I use oceanic salt and it has plenty.
If you do dose get a test kit!

Edited by bugzme - July 29 2010 at 3:19pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 3:20pm
The only thing i dose is Calcium, Strotinum and magnesium each week once i month i do water change and that will replace all of the necessary elements i do not dose.
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 3:51pm
SGH Do you know for sure what your salt mix replenishes in your tank? Surely you dose alk.
Sorry but I don't know how big your tank is or what's living in it.

Edited by bugzme - July 29 2010 at 4:00pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 7:34am
Im using Oceanic Salt too ever since i started this hobby. I dont dose alk. There isnt enough acidic material to lower the ph check it every, with my calcium at 400 ppm. I manage to keep my DKH at 11. I own a 29G tank with a 29G sump.  perhaps i need to post a picSmile
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 7:43am
Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

The only thing i dose is Calcium, Strotinum and magnesium

Surely you are also dosing Alkalinity, right?

The typical hobbyist reef aquarium will do fantastic if the hobbyist simply watches Alk and Ca, adding these two components according to the need indicated by testing.

Personally, even when I was farming coral for a living, I never specifically added K (potassium). It's in the fish food and coral food and may also be in the additives I used, like Kent Coral-Vite. Smile

I agree with Jeff. The need to supplement trace elements depends on how much of what kind of coral in what size of tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
chosen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chosen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 8:14am
So i'm taking it as water changes and food is all you need. But what happens when those things you do are just not enough to tweak the colors that you want? Is there any research that you guys know of that will tell me what kind of chemicals will give you that extra push to get those bright colors?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 3:49pm
Just lately there was a thread about Vitamin C improving color.
The colors of coral in my tanks that receive sunlight are vibrant.
What kind of lighting do you have?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
chosen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chosen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 10:25pm
Mark, I am running LED's at the moment do you have the link for the vitamin c?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 7:58am
I use brightwells vitamarin-c
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 6:34pm
Does orp raise potassium levels?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 10:54pm
I wouldn't imagine that orp raises potassium, considering orp is oxidation/reduction potential. And it has to do with what species will deal with positive or negative electrodes.

And what we usually measure (orp) is more or less measuring any changes in the system and not so much the volts (which can be measured to, probably on a more accurate scale then just orp)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic