Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Direction on Fragging a Pom Pom Xenia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Direction on Fragging a Pom Pom Xenia
    Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:22pm
Hi all!  

I have had a pom pom xenia that finally has three stalks ready for the picking.  I would love to just allow them to grow but they are growing into a dark low area of the back of my tank.  

What I would like to do is snip the join stalk and reattach it to another rock but I wanted to get some direction on the best way to attach it to this new rock.  Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:37pm
what i do is put the fragged xenia into a rubble of rock and let it attach once attached transfer it where you want to glue it.
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 1:24pm
Also I've seen a rubber band work really well.  Just rubber band the stalk to a piece of rock rubble.
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 9:42pm
The rubber band works.

I just use a dab of super glue gel and it works even better.

The other thing I do is just pin it to the rock with a piece of rubble. The only problem there is it could attach to the rubble.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 9:51pm
I'm working on one right now. I have the xenia inside a tupperware, sitting in the tank, with several pieces of rubble rock. It looked really unhappy for the first few days, but has started to perk up again and is pulsing again too. I'll wait until it's attached to a piece of rubble and then glue the piece of rubble to the spot where the xenia will go.
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 3:35pm
These are all great ideas!  Thank you everyone!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 6:06pm
Another way.
Xenia will attached to any surface. Place a rock next to it so that the stalk can attach. Then cut it apart and there you have two Xenia and no worries of it coming loose and floating away.

When a "Y" branch of Xenia is cut and the elastic goes in the crotch and the cut area is in a depression in the rock, it won't float away, the elastic won't cut it in half and the cut end will often attach within a day.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic