Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plate coral issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plate coral issue
    Posted: August 19 2010 at 12:07pm
i was wondering if anyone else has dealed with hair algae coming through the tissue and how do you get rid of it? i was thinking about doing a iodine dip
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 3:08pm
It's still alive and it's allowing hair algae to grow on it? That's really weird.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 6:00pm
I would not do that. Iodine is not going to kill the hair algae.
This is not uncommon at all.
I see more algae on the sand. You have been feeding too much and don't have enough herbivores. Something caused the flesh of the Fungia to recede in those spots allowing algae to get a foothold.
You could do some fine surgery and scrap the algae off the skeleton.
OR- get a few Hermit crabs with nothing else to eat. Take them from your tank. Leave the hermits in a shallow container of tank water for a day, then place the Fungia in with one edge touching the wall of the container. As the hungry hermits walk around the perimeter they will climb up onto the Fungia and, hopefully, eat the algae. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 6:31pm
it was like that when I got it and I only feed twice a week so I don't know if that's a problem. The cyano I've been battling for about a month I think it from lack of flow because I had about 30 frag and a few brains and plates on the sand bed
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 7:08pm
Well, anytime I see Cyano on the sand it makes me wonder if there is simply not enough biofiltration in that system.

It wouldn't make sense to feed much less than twice/week, but an evaluation of the way the tank eats nutrients is certainly needed.
The hair algae will probably continue to grow there unless it is removed by you or some animal.

You are correct that too much stuff covering the sandbed is a contributing factor to reduced biofiltration. It's a good idea to keep at least 75% of the sand bed clear, with good channels of water flow.

Water flow is critical to helping the sand bed to do it's job. My little 12 gal Nano has only a single Rio 600 sitting on the sand shooting water almost straight up to the surface. Some hobbyists may not realize it but that's good flow. The SPS are all doing well and the RBTA is growing larger every day. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 11:45am
I just put the plate  and a couple crabs in my fish acclimator we'll see what happens thanks mark for the idea
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic