Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan's 60gal Cube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryan's 60gal Cube
    Posted: August 28 2010 at 7:16pm
this is the tank as it sits now but hopefully I will have the new stand, canopy, and sump built soon.  I will take pics as they get built.  Oh and I have some of that Key largo rock from Marcorocks.com to add in the tank.  Also this is my first salt water aquarium and all the corals I have except the cuns coral, birds nest, and the mushroom I picked up at the last Frag fest.  All in all I think everything is doing ok as the Mushrooms have produced 4 new heads, the Zoas have produced a few new ones, the Favia is still mending the cut areas but it is healing.  If anyone Has any suggestions please feel free to share.  I do not have a skimmer yet and I have some Chaetomorpha in my sump.

60gal cube

Watermelon Zoa

Birds Nest

Sun Coral

Mushrooms

Mater my Tomato Clown

Green Zoa

Candy Cane

Favia

Duncan

Candy Cane and Birds Nest

Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2010 at 10:09pm
looking really good!
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2010 at 10:13pm
For a second I thought this was Ryan Thompsons tank and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why he picked up mushrooms at the frag fest, because he's not a softie fan.

This is a good looking tank! I like the rock work and I'm really starting to like the look of a cube tank.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2010 at 10:27pm
very nice looks like you hve a good start
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2010 at 7:05am
Great start.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2010 at 9:55pm
Looks nice.
Better flow would be achieved with changes I'd recommend.
The electrical wires in back should be hidden behind the overflow.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2010 at 11:22pm
What changes for better flow?  The overflow for that tank is not designed very well IMO.  The drain and return lines both are at the top section of the tank and it is so shallow that even if I wanted to change the drain or return at all I would have to completely bull off the overflow.  Plus it goes all the way from the the bottom to the top I think they could have easily gotten away with a full length one and only did like a quarter length or half length.  When I redo my tank though I will be sure to move those wires.  Anything else that you can see that I need to change?
Ryan
Semper Fi
MH + T5s
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2010 at 11:40pm
That's how most commercial built overflows are designed. They're not horrible but can be a pain.

Looks to me like you have good flow.

Are you not running a sump right now? If not, take a look at some of the build threads for plumbing ideas for that overflow.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 12:30am
Yeah I have a 20 gal sump with a rio 2100 pump for my return, I think its rated at 300gph or something.  Plus you can see the 2 koralias.  One is a 750pgh amd the other is a 1050gph.  plus the other little one in the lower left which is 180gph.
Ryan
Semper Fi
MH + T5s
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic