Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Situation...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Situation...
    Posted: September 02 2010 at 3:03pm
Hello, all!

First some history. In March of this year my first two fishes were a clown and a diamond goby. After a goby suicide, I replaced him. a couple of months later I added a white firefish. Then a few weeks later I added a purple firefish, another clown and a royal dottyback. A month or two have past since then.

THe other night my goby was normal. Eating and digging and sifting. Then that very night I witnessed the dottyback harassing the goby. The next day his nose was red and cut up a little and his tail was shredded, little movement, no eating. Over the next three days his condition worsened until his death today.

What caused the sudden aggresiveness out of the dottyback? Will a sick fish get picked on? I know getting picked on will make them sick. All other fish seem relaxed and happy.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 3:20pm
The following is the description from bluezooaquatics.com on royal dottybacks.

"The Bicolor Dottyback is the hardiest of all the Dottybacks but is also probably the most aggressive of the bunch as well. Don’t let this deter you as the Bicolor Dottyback can be kept in an aggressive community aquarium with larger fish and do quite well. It will quickly become the tank favorite as it has a personality that is easily 5 times it’s size.

Dottybacks can often be quite the bullies and should not be added to peaceful community aquariums or aquariums that will house timid or hesitant feeders. They are best kept with tangs, large damselfish, hawkfish, angelfish, squirrels, parrots and other large fish that are not bullied easily."
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 3:57pm

The research I did, along with talking to various people with experiance, indicated that at worst it might  be semi-aggresive. If added last to the bunch, there would be a low to no probability of a problem. I don't know, maybe I screwed up.Angry

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 4:02pm
Goby's are pretty peaceful little fish and so even a semi-aggressive fish can easily bully it.

Also, fish are like any other animal. You could say a pit-bull is an aggressive dog but that's not the case with every animal. My sister owns the most timid pit-bull in the world. You probably just have a dotty that is more aggressive than most.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 9:23pm
I guess my biggest question is why the sudden attack? A month or more in the same tank, all ok, then this.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 12:00pm
I couldn't find it. What size of tank is this?
Those fish are all very peaceful, so the Dottyback was certainly to become the King of the tank.
Aggressiveness is a two way thing. The Goby had probably been holding it's own until the Dottyback decided that part of the tank was now it's own. Tank size has a great deal to do with how bad it can get.

Also food(survival) and territory issues can turn suddenly for any of us.  
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic