Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulsing Sinularia Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulsing Sinularia Issue
    Posted: September 07 2010 at 12:05pm
I have had this Pulsing Sinularia for over a year now and it just won't open up Angry

Here is a picture of what it looked like when I bought it (not exact coral but this is what it looked like in the original owners tank):

And here it is a year later in my tank:

It has never opened up like it did for the previous owner Confused

It came from a 110g tall tank, where it was in the upper half of the tank, under 250w MH and VHOs. I would characterize the lighting on the coral at the time as full, and not shaded... The flow around it was decent, but not directly on the coral. 

In my 225g it is under 400w MH. I have tried putting it directly under the lights, maybe 12 inches from the bulb, and I have gone the other direction and tried it on the sandbed, closer to the outer perimeter of the light. It recieves a fairly strong but indirect flow.

My water parameters are as follows:

Temp  78 - 80F
SG       1025.5
pH      8.0
dKH    10.0
nH3    0
nO2    0
nO3    0
pO4    0
Ca      400 - 440
Mg      1400

No fish or inverts are picking on it or near it; never see any crabs or snails or anything else go near it.

Had it for about a year now so I don't think it is sick or "dying" or anything like that.

Just kinda annoyed that it looks shabby and won't fill out, no matter where I position it in the tank. When I do reposition the coral, I then leave it alone for at least a few weeks to see if there is any change in appearance.

The closest other corals to it are some mushrooms that are close to 1 foot away.

I run carbon and change it regularly, to avoid any chemical warfare toxins building up in the water.

Any suggestions or feedback that might solve this riddle of the coral that won't open?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 4:15pm
Seems like the only thing left to try is put it in a well shaded area with decent flow
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 4:37pm
have you been feeding it? the only reason i can think of been that furry is that once feed the next day will expand their mouth saying give me more
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 9:12pm
Zero PO4 Confused
I believe that you run PO4 remover constantly, correct?
Corals of the Leather variety like some Phosphate. Even if you have other Sinularia and Sarcophyton, I'm guessing this individual may not be getting enough PO4.
Do you have another tank it could go into? Or take a chance and take out the PO4 remover for a while. Smile

Oh, and how is the Iodine/Iodide level? Xenia doing okay?

I'm not exactly guessing at this. Embarrassed I've tacked this baffling problem before. Tanks that looked fine in every way but for some strange reason not even Leather coral would last. Come to find out, the owners had been running PO4 remover continually for up to a year. Within a month, after losing the PO4 removal media, coral were growing the way they should.

Consider this, plant/grass fertilizer has 3 components, Ammonia, Nitrate and Phosphate. The needs of algae, albeit Zooxanthellae algae, are not that different than grass. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 07 2010 at 9:24pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 10:55pm
Mark -

Interestingly enough, I have not run any pO4 remover for about a month now...

I don't have any Xenia in this tank. I have been dosing Iodide for awhile now; when I get a chance I'll test the water for Io to make sure it isn't low.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic