Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low mag
    Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:32pm
So I finally got a mag test kit and my mag is at 860 so I am wondering what I need to get it up in numbers.
I know one part is epsom salt but need to know where to get the Magnesium Chloride??
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:34pm
Bulk Reef Supply sells a great kit for Mag.

I know there are some hobbyists on here that bought the big 5 gallon buckets of Magnesium and will sell some. I just don't remember who exactly.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:46pm
Jerry (eagleeyez5) I think that's his screen name or close anyways...he was the one selling it
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 12:50am
I would go with bulkreefsupply as well, just got mine from ups yesterday.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:15am
Mr. frugal and practical reefer here:
Epsom salt can bring that number up and will not cause any problems. Just keep an eye on the Mg level by testing before each subsequent dose.
Future testing will give you the knowledge of how much Mg the tank is using and you can use some of the combination products, like Kent Coral Vite, to keep Mg and other elements within proper limits.
Smile 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Mr. frugal and practical reefer here:Epsom salt can bring that number up and will not cause any problems. Just keep an eye on the Mg level by testing before each subsequent dose.Future testing will give you the knowledge of how much Mg the tank is using and you can use some of the combination products, like Kent Coral Vite, to keep Mg and other elements within proper limits.Smile 

The problem with just plain epsom salt is that it is not ionically balanced.

Randy holmes farley wrote an article all about that years ago. To my knowledge he was really the first one to publish using epsom salt to raise magnesium.

I'm frugal too and bulk reef supply is cheap and you know what you are getting. I ordered mine like 3 months ago and haven't even used 1/4 of what I bought and I'm dosing about 20 ml a day.

Just my observation. I could be wrong though
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:27am
My problem with just dosing epsom salt is it is mag sulfate (sulfur). Stuff will use up sulfur but not at the raios it needs.... chloride is always a better "transporter" for anything cal,mag etc. But for some reason we have to use chloride and sulfur for mag... just balances everything in the right ratios
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic