Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calcium and Alk Levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
swiftra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiftra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calcium and Alk Levels
    Posted: September 15 2010 at 5:52pm
So at the risk of starting arguments I think I will go ahead and ask this question. Have been doing a lot of research on the internet and came up with a lot of different answers so figured I try here. What is the best levels to keep your calcium and alk at? Right now I'm sitting at 440 ppm calcium and 6.8 dkh. Have been over the last week slowly raising my alk it was dangerously low. Not even sure I want to admit how low but am thinking that is probably why I was having problems keeping sps corals. So as I am raising I was just curious what's a good stopping point? Thanks everybody!
If you make it idiot proof, someone will find a better idiot!
Well 100g crashed when I moved it. Starting a 50g cube now.
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 5:55pm
I run a mix reef but Z's and P's dominated.

Ca 480 - 500
Alk 10dKH to 12dKH
Mag 1350 to 1400
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 6:00pm
ca in "recomended" levels is 380-420... i usually try to stay around 420, but 450 isnt a bad number either
alk i would say 8-12 and you are good
mag 1350-1500 (higher mag helps keep coraline undercontrol which will consume more cal then corals do)

and remember cal and alk are one in one... if one is high the other is low
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 8:57pm
It seems like everyone doing research always finds many conflicting answers, then they come here for the truth.Big smile

There does not seem to be any argument here. Notice how all the answers above are located within the ranges below. In my experience the ranges stated on the WMAS business card years ago are still accurate and valid:

Alk 8-14 dKH 3-5 meq/L 150-250 ppm
Ca 350-450ppm (up to 550 is no problem)
Each tank will find it's own equilibrium of the two levels, as badfinger said, they are as if on a balance scale. Reefs can have an Alk of 8 and Ca of 500 or an Alk of 14 and Ca of 350 or anything in between. Though in my experience the closer to 10 and 450 the better. Smile

Alk can safely be raised by 1 dKH per day
Ca can safely be raised by 50ppm per day

I also have a confession. I recently added a lot of SPS to my nano. I wasn't paying enough attention to Alk and Ca so the Alk fell to 4 dKH before I realized it. I almost lost a frag of Birdsnest that was around back on the sunny side of he tank. Raising the Alk 1 dKH per day has stabilized the Birdsnest. Hopefully I caught it in time.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 9:30pm
To be successful with SPS over the long run you MUST keep levels within range and as steady as possible.

I dose a 2 part mix every day and add magnesium once a week.

Ranges are where Mark posted them. I personally don't like to see my alk ever over 9.5dkh and calcium above 450ppm. Since I dose Vodka, if my alk goes over 9 I will see burnt tips on my SPS.

I run my tank at:

SG - 1.0264 or 35ppt
Temp - 76.3-76.7F
Alk - 8 - 8.5dkh
Calcium - 420-430ppm
Magnesium - 1350-1400

I also dose Strontium and Iodide a couple times a week. Magnesium should be 3.5x your calcium. If you have issues keeping Calcium and Alk in check then your Mg is low.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 11:08pm
SG - 1025.5
Temp - 77.0 to 79.8
Alk - 9.5 to 11
Ca - 400 to 440 ppm
Mg - 1450 to 1500 ppm

I also dose Strontium and Iodide

The parameter that I have to monitor / adjust most frequently is Alk; the 'natural' range of the tank would fall to around 7 dKH without dosing

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 2:52am
SG: 1.025-1.026
Temp: 75.5-76.0
Alk: 10-12
Ca: 420-450ppm
Mg: 1400-1600ppm

I dose strontium, iodine/iodide, molybdenum, potassium, vitamin-C, and phyto

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
swiftra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiftra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 6:13pm
Thanks for the answers everybody. Seems to me that levels of alk and calcium are a lot like underwear. Just depends on what works good for you. Smile (as long as you are within certain levels.) I'm guessing certain tanks do better with higher alk levels and others do better with higher calcium. Anybody ever had 2 tanks at the same time that liked to be at different levels?

Edited by swiftra - September 16 2010 at 6:14pm
If you make it idiot proof, someone will find a better idiot!
Well 100g crashed when I moved it. Starting a 50g cube now.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 7:13pm
Of course.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 11:46am
I haven't tested in ages (OK - a few months) and went through what I have to test this morning.  Nitrates and Phosphates were 0.  Alk was 11 and my Calc was about 240 (oops).

So now I'm wanting to start dosing Calc but I know I can't afford the traditional LFS options.  I have been looking for CaCl2 and even called the local Chemicl store. (He's going to call me back if he can find some).  I've read the suggestions for Peladow, but if it's not carried locally, the shipping will kill that as an option.

Where do people get CaCl2 ? 

By dosing CaCl2, will my Alk go down?  Is that what I am reading about the two being tied together inversely?

Edited by vadryn - October 11 2010 at 11:52am
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 3:15pm
Dow Ice Melt is the same stuff. Yes as you raise Ca, alk will drop so be prepared to dose both.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 4:03pm
Doesn't Dow Ice Melt have potentially unsafe levels of Bromide now?  Chemistry Guru Randy Holmes-Farley now recommends against it. 
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 4:08pm
I wasn't aware that it had changed. I haven't kept up w/ that stuff. I personally use Seachem reef builder.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 6:34pm
Yeah, I bought a BRS 5 gallon bucket of Ca Carbonate.  Should last me a long time at 2 cups per gallon of mix.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 7:58pm
Did you mean Calcium Chloride?

On a typical tank using Peladow Ice Melt is just fine when water changes are regular. It's not worth worrying about, but if using it to grow a dense forest of coral I too would recommend getting the pure stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic