Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

live rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: live rock
    Posted: April 21 2003 at 3:20pm

Wow, how rare for me to post questions, and here is two in one day. Private message me, or post, whatever you prefer.....

Where do you recommend buying live rock?

What are your feeling on uncured vs. cured rock?

Thanks

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 4:36pm

I did get most of my rock from "The Aquarium".  They have a real nice curing station, so the rook was completly cured before it went in my tank.  If it is a new tank , and this is what I might be doing in the future, I would put the rock in the tank and let it do it's process in there, before I move my tank into the bigger one.  I have read this saves most of the life on the rock and IMO saves time.  Are there any other opions?

John Fletcher "ReefAquarist"

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 6:57pm

*rant mode ON* Is it just me, or has the quality of live rock dropped dramaticly in the last 10 yrs?  My first reef was in '92 and I bought the live rock mail order (and I wasn't living in Utah...there were no good local saltwater pet stores) from Exotic Aquaria (since gone out of business).  It was great looking rock, completely purple/green/pink and covered with "macro" life (sponges, corals, ect).  This wasn't sold as a premium rock, it was $4-5/lb plus shipping.  I bought (or friends bought) rock about 4-5 more times in the next 4 yrs and it always looked great.  The stuff I've seen in the local stores here doesn't look like that.  Perhaps it doesn't make any difference what it "looks" like, but I do feel like there was more diverse life on the rock of the past. *rant mode OFF*

Where?  price would be toward the top of my list.  All the local rock looks about the same.  Anyone bought mail order recently?  I like bird world's live rock storage tank (lots of circulation and good skimming...but no lights :(  ).

I prefer to cure myself.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 9:07pm

I have been recently asking the same question as Jon. I too think we used to see better rock. One person suggested to me that we consumers have driven the price down along with quality in our quest to get the best for less, and that the good stuff is available for a premium price but who wants to pay $12/lb. which is what I remember paying for the best stuff when I hand picked a piece here and a piece there.

Personally I want it as straight from the ocean as possible so that anything that can recover in my tank does so. Rather than let it die before it gets to my tank, where it might have survived.

Now that I have most of my rock and use 90% Utah Aragonite I really don't care so much. But I would be willing to join in with others in a purchase of a box of VERY premium rock.

BTW - If all I want is to have a place to keep images for the message board do I need a ftp or webpage program? As soon as I learn how to add images to my webspace I will post the picture of the fuchsia colored Fungia that Joe and Cindy are growing. I have three babies in my tank now! It's small but marvelous and seems very hardy. It's the color of this print! Anyone want to post it for me?

jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 9:38pm

Mark send me the pic ill post it for you.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 9:42am

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming.  I will be buying lots of live rock soon (couple of months from now) and would like to get a price break so if you are looking to get rock, let me know.

I won't be announcing on this forum where I'm going to get the rock from.  I will let that decision be made by those going in on the rock, and the advice derived from this forum. 

Thanks

Adam 

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic