Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need someone for LED growth pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need someone for LED growth pics
    Posted: September 23 2010 at 7:23pm
So I've had JUST LEDs on my tank for a couple months now.  I've seen amazing growth out of just about everything, but especially my LPS.  

I just put in some new SPS frags, and have a nice big frag pack coming next week.  I thought it would be a great time to take close-ups of all the coral so that I can document growth.  LED growth is something that everyone seems to be interested in.  

Problem is I don't even have a camera other then my camera phone, haha.  Would any of you expert photographers like to volunteer and come up sometime in a week or two and take pics, and then maybe come back a few months later and do it again?  

I'm in Roy just off the freeway.  
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 8:26pm
Too bad you're so far away I would love to, but I never make it out that way.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 8:57pm
A bit too far for me unfortunately :(

Can you tell us a little about your LED setup?  Did you build it yourself?  How much did it cost?  Is it worth the investment?

Im curious because I have been researching LEDS and have almost come to the point to where I want to jump on board.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 10:05pm
I built it myself with a lot of help, it cost around $800 and its on my 90 gallon.

72 LEDs total.  Two heatsinks, each 18in long with 24 blues and 12 XPG whites, also 2 fans per sink.  Each heatsink has two drivers, one for the whites and one for the  blues.  They are dimmable and run off of my apex controller.  Whites have no optics, blues have 80 degree.  

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 11:38am
Nice man! 
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 12:47pm
Nobody?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:17am
I might be interested, give me a pm and we will talk.
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 9:45am
That looks sweet. What dimmable driver did you use for the 24 blues. I saw you only had two drivers for 36 LED, thats why I ask. I am running the same LED config of 24 XRE RB and 12 XPG Whites on three drivers with 12 per driver.

Edited by thefu - October 07 2010 at 9:45am
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

That looks sweet. What dimmable driver did you use for the 24 blues. I saw you only had two drivers for 36 LED, thats why I ask. I am running the same LED config of 24 XRE RB and 12 XPG Whites on three drivers with 12 per driver.

60,48D.  The Blues just arent running at 100% power.  Even with the 24 on one driver it still gives even more blue then I need.  

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 12:14am

Thanks again Laird for showing me your lights today. It is truley amazing how it lights up and brings out the colors in your corals, and I hope you find someone with a good camera to take some pics and post on here. Anyone who lives close to Roy, I would recommend you going and checking out his tank. Its AWESOME!

Life is good....right?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Thanks again Laird for showing me your lights today. It is truley amazing how it lights up and brings out the colors in your corals, and I hope you find someone with a good camera to take some pics and post on here. Anyone who lives close to Roy, I would recommend you going and checking out his tank. Its AWESOME!

Your welcome, glad you could stop by.   Hope it helped you out a little.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 2:51pm
Bump.

I'm getting really nice growth, I'd really like to prove to people that LEDs work.  

50 Gallon rimless cube.
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 2:57pm
just saw this today...send me a pm and let me know if you are still interested and see if we can work something out
pj
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 3:11pm
PM sent

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 10:40pm
I live in Roy, and just saw this today.  are you still interested?  I have a great camera, and you can be the judge of my photography skills. PM me if you still need help documenting your growth.  I'm also interested in someday building my own LED setup for a larger tank.  It's easy to find stuff on LED mods for nanos but there's almost nothing on larger tanks.
90G Mixed Reef
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 12:43pm
I never took before pics of anything under leds!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic