Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nitrates UPDATED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MajorPayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajorPayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nitrates UPDATED
    Posted: September 24 2010 at 1:51pm
My nitrates are slowing climbing and I am getting worried. I have my sump full of macro. my skimmer is working overtime (rated for 250 gal.), I pulled out my antiphosphate. my ammonia and nirtite are at 0. and my sump light is on almost 24/7. I cut back on feeding and actually had a tang die. I've tried water changes but its only a temporary fix and usually will be back up to where it was in under a week. I also checked my RO water for nitrates and there is nothing in there. what else can I do to bring down my nitrates?

also is it possible I have too many fish??
I have the following live stock:
Emperor angel, humu humu trigger, niger trigger, coral beauty, bi color blenny, valentini puffer, maroon clown, 2 serpent stars, 2 sgt. major damsels, a donimo damsel, a brown damsel, lunare wrasse (Pretty big), a sixline wrasse, a few snails and 2 hermits, and 4 small GBTA's, and I few others I can't remember right now.

Sorry I didn't say it right upfront but It is a 125, with a 50gal sump/ fuge. I have about 150lbs of live rock, a 4in sand bed, right now I have some PC's on the display, I run the actenics for 10 hrs, and the daylight for 6 1/2. I have an actenic PC on the fuge and 2 work lights that have a plant life bulb and a halogen bulb. also I have a huge mass of macro.  I have about 20 nassarius snails in the sump. I have tried cutting back on the feeding but my humu humu goes super aggressive and bites anything that looks at him funny.
Parameters:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
PH:8.2
Nitrate:about 60PPM
Average temp: 79
Calcium:400PPM
Alkalinaty:11dKH
Phosphate:0
Salinity:1.025

Edited by MajorPayne - September 29 2010 at 11:15am
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 2:05pm
How big is your tank?
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 3:20pm
A little more info would be nice. Tank size and param's and a brief description of your setup.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 5:58pm
And include how many lbs of Live Rock and how deep a sandbed along with the tank size...
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 5:59pm
You could try making an area of your sump or display a DSB with oolite sand. This always worked for me. With super fine oolite you only need three inches to get results. the whole bottom doesn't have to be that deep; it could just be in the back corners.
Another thing might be to make a bigger fuge or try some different macro algae.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 6:20pm
I agree that since we have no idea what the Nitrate level is and how it's climbing, as well as the tank size, it's like we are shooting in the dark.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 6:21pm
how high are your nitrates you could try a sulfur denitrator but I would try to find out why you have high nitrates first if the reason is over stocked then a denitrator may be a way to keep it that way

Edited by sanddune600 - September 24 2010 at 6:53pm
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 11:05pm
Here's the thing. If your tank is a manageable size, why not just do water changes once a week? I will cut down on how much you have to dose, nitrates will stay down and your tanks health will improve substantially. Sure a skimmer, fuge and everything helps a tank stay healthy, but why try to see how long you can go without a water change? Even at 100 gallons, thats only 10g of salt water you need to change a week, which if purchased at the lfs is something like $4 a week to do.

I guess I only say that because you stated that water changes once a week keep your nitrates at 0, so why try to find a workaround that most likely will be more complicated than doing a water change. Thats only my opinion though, i'm still new at this

Edited by Ahanix - September 25 2010 at 12:24am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 10:48am
I'm not new at this and I've become a lazy reefer.Smile I do only what is necessary to keep the tank looking good in the long run.

Water changes are a pain and are less necessary than new hobbyists think. I can give you many options that are easier and more useful in the long run for avoiding pollution (reducing N compounds) and keeping the tank looking beautiful.Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic