Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Many Fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Many Fish
    Posted: September 26 2010 at 1:42pm
I am just setting up my 29 gallon nano and I think I am going to start off with a fish only tank. How many fish do you guys think I could have in it without it being way crowded? Also what kind of fish do you guys suggest for my tank?

Thanks!
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 1:45pm
Honestly there isnt a rule of what right from over crowded, I have currently 2 tangs 1 rabbit fish and two maroon clownfishes on my 29G some people will call this way overcrowded, but i never had a problem with territorial issues, they get along but i;ll be upgrading to a bigger tank soon.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 1:53pm
Fish pollute the water.
Coral filter the water.
Why not start with a tank that is filtering and cleaning the water; a tank that provides a clean water environment for fish?
See more on this below in the thread linked in my signature.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 1:57pm
If you are going to go salt water you might as well just go all the wat and do corals too. They make up most of the fun of the hobby. In my opinion anyways
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 2:02pm
If you decide to go only FO then go Predatory like Lion fish that would be cool looking
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 2:04pm
Trust me, I would love to do coral and I probably will. I just dont have the money right now so if I buy some coral it will be very simple. Thanks for the suggestions!
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 7:32pm
Does anyone have a guess on about how many fish I could keep in a 29?
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 7:43pm
4-5 small fish. If you have pretty good filtration and clean up crew. If you want coral just grab some softies from someone. I throw away softies all the time... so I'm sure you could get some for free. 

Edited by Luckedout - September 26 2010 at 7:43pm
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 8:31pm
Ben said it.
You probably don't realize what you have stumbled onto here. A place where coral is free.Smile

The idea of just keeping fish is kind of outdated because coral is so easy, so cool, so available and even predatory fish can be kept with coral. And coral allow you to keep more fish. I've had a lot more than 4 small fish in a 29 gallon tank. (see the pic)

Don't forget to read below, because the hobby may be a lot less expensive than you realize. Contact me for rock and sand.

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 26 2010 at 8:42pm
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 3:30am
Ive got 6 fish in my 30 gallon, I may be a little overstocked. I think 5-6 fish would be the limit for your 29.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 9:05pm
^ Just depends honestly if you run a skimmer or not, I know that they sell a skimmer for the biocube 29 (AquaC brand or something, dont buy the stupid air stone skimmer) you can probably keep 5-6 fish. I kept 3 fish in my 14 and everything was just fine, so I figure you could double it.

I currently have 6 fish in my 40 breeder, i'll probably pick up 2 more and call it a day
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 9:37pm
Our Biocube has 5 fish in it and has for a long time. (At least a year). We do however have a lot of coral to filter the water. I think you'd be ok with 4-6 fish depending on your nutrient export.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 8:11am
Macroalgae with a 2" bed of Oolitic sand and decent LR works great. With one good powerhead (~500 gph) positioned low shooting water to the surface, there is no need for any more equipment.
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 5:33pm
I have 5 in my 29 nano. purple firefish, royal gramma, tailspot blenny and 2 chromis! it's a party!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 6:57pm

While various filters, corals, sand, live rock and the such allow us to keep more fish without compromising water quality- I think it is very important to consider the over health and happiness of the number and size of fish that should be kept in any size tank. Mark has been successful keeping large number of Cardinals in a smaller tank because of the slower activity of those fish. More active fish should mean fewer fish. Some fish should not be considered at all. I wouldn't even consider keeping tangs of any number in a tank that small.

I would suggest three to four smaller (more active) fish for your tank.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic