Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Placement in the tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Placement in the tank
    Posted: September 27 2010 at 10:05pm
So i bought a bunch of frags from Mrcoral.com and they all seem to be doing well but one. I am wondering where placement in the tank should be. I got some acans, favia and a small frag of riddler chalice. They are all on plugs and right now I just moved them to the sandbed as my freaking fish kept knocking them all off. Will they all do well there? 
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 10:07pm
I wouldnt put them on the sandbed with how deep your tank is, I would honestly just get some superglue gel and glue them to your rocks, you will be happy that you did
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 10:29pm
Yea I tried glueing some pieces I don't know which fish it is but it goes on a knocking/picking coral to the point it will fall spree every night! I will get some more glue and try again. I know when I got the colony of acans I got from Jared he said to put it no further than halfway up down to the sandbed. I hate the frag plugs as I have nowhere for them to go. Maybe I should pull them off the frag plugs and put them on small pieces of rocks instead!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 11:03pm
you can always do what I do and bust the bottom part off the frag plugs then glue them
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 12:56am
Depending on how newly cut the frag is you can get a razor blade and wedge it between the plug and the glue the frag is on and pop it off. If it's starting to encrust the plate this won't work.

It also depends on your tank and lights. I'm not as familiar with it as Ahanix but I generally keep favias and acans on the sand. A chalice would be in the top half of my tank.

You should just do a cheap DIY frag rack and use some corner protector to give it a lip. It keeps frags safe.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 1:01am
Nah. You certainly are more familiar with it than I am

I just say glue them because I lost two acro frags because they fell off my rock when I was at work and I didn't get to them in time :/
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 1:14am
yea dont put acans on rock if they keep falling they will get damage and worse can develop brown slime disease i know thats what happen to me, im just greatful it did not spread
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 10:39am
I have to keep my chalice in the bottom 1/2 of my tank or they bleach.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 1:59pm

Saltwater putty is an option as well i hate superglue (unless I am closing a cleaned cut) the putty comes in a tube green surrounding white when mixed it becomes gray I use this for most of my frags .                     Hope that option helps  

(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 2:00pm
Yea I had them all about mid way up and one of them started to loose tissue so that's why I put them on the sand bed yesterday. My tank has 2 250w metal halide and 4-65w cf it is a 4ft 120g tank and the fixture is 4ft as well.
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic