Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cloudy Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jeepnmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cloudy Tank
    Posted: September 30 2010 at 3:04am
Hey all, I hope someone has some good news for me but here it goes.  Today I got two new fish and added to my 75g reef tank.  I got a tiny hippo tang (maybe 2") and a powder blue tang (maybe 4").  My tank has been up a year and a half approx and doing excellent.  I added the fish and everyone is getting along great.  However just a few minutes ago i noticed all of the sudden my tank was turning really cloudy.  Upon closer look one of my anenome's was shriveling up and what looked like smoke was coming out of the mouth.  Any ideas?  all of the fish don't seem to care, but it concerns me, I don't want to wake up to a dead tank.  The anenome is very shriveled up at this point and has stopped "smoking".  Should I try to remove it?  Its foot still seems very planted so I don't think it would be easy to get out, any input would be great.....thanks in advance.

Matt
Thanks for your help!
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 4:41am
What type of anemone is this?  If it is not "melting" yet I would just leave it be.  If it starts "melting" get it out of there before it crashes your tank.  I dont know what it is doing but it sounds like it is on its way out.  If it seems like it is melting at all get it out but if not maybe do a 20% water change and see how it is doing in the morning.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

jeepnmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 5:01am
thanks......its a bubble tip anenome.   I started with one about 9 months ago, now I have 5 so they have been doing awesome up until tonight,  still attached for now and not much changing.  All the fish seem to be just fine, and the water is slowly clearing up with time. 
Thanks for your help!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 7:54am
I'll bet it's back to normal this morning, right?
It either spawned or was excreting waste.
Either way, use a fistful of AC to help clean the water to perfection.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jeepnmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 1:45am
Mark,  you were right, everything was completely back to normal in the morning, water crystal clear, fish as happy as could be, anenome's full/expanded and doing great!  I had just never seen this, sorry for my panic.  Thanks as always for the great input!

Matt
Thanks for your help!
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 2:38pm
I am glad your tank is ok, but there is something to be learned/analyzed here.

Was the cloudiness whitish or greenish? I am guessing by the speed of the onset that it was whitish and my guess would be a bacterial bloom. Anything change? Temp rise? Bacterial blooms themself are not harmful, but since there is so much going on the bacteria can take the oxygen out of the water very rapidly, causing an anaerobic environment and the fish/corals/inverts can have a hard time breathing. Did you see the fish having a hard time breathing? The best thing you can do when this happens is to get as much oxygen in the water as you can, air stones, crank your skimmer up, ect.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic