Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a "better" Alkalinity Buffer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a "better" Alkalinity Buffer
    Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:26am
I have tried the standard 'DIY' Alk buffer of baking soda / soda ash in the past, but found it just didn't work as well as some of the commercial mixes. I had to dose more, and more often, to maintain a given alk reading... true, it was alot cheaper - but it required more effort on my part.

I ended up using - and still use - Kent Superbuffer dKH. Works great, but man, it is expensive. Around $15.99 for a 1 kg (2.2 lb) container. With 2 tanks, totaling around 300g of water volume, I go through a 1 kg container about every 2 months. That's around $90 - $100 a year just to keep my Alk levels where I want them. Too much, IMO...

So, I set out to figure out 2 things.

1) Just why do the commercial mixes "work better"?

2) Can I duplicate a commercial mix - and do it for less $$$ ?

Edited by BobC63 - October 04 2010 at 12:44pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:42am
At that price Bob just go and buy a calcium reactor. You'll see savings by the end of year two.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:48am
I have a Ca reactor - but haven't hooked it up yet Embarrassed

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 9:38am
The commercial mixes are more concentrated.
I agree with Jwoo. When the amount of additive, the frequency and the hassle of use becomes too much, that's when a Ca reactor makes sense.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 10:00am
Bob- hook up that Calk Reactor. You will be glad you did. I have had mine in place for almost 10 years now. Besides making small adjustments to the Alk and Cal levels, all I have had to do is replace the medium (maybe once every 12-18 months) and refill the Co2 bottle (about every 3-4 years). Saving money is great, saving the hassle of daily dosing is priceless.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 12:43pm
Oh, don't worry guys - I"ll get that reactor up and running soon enough.

BUT, I also have my 37g tank that needs dosing... and I generally use Oceanic Salt for WCs... and Oceanic is generally high in Ca but low in Alk...

SO, I am thinking that I will still need to keep some buffer in the house.

AND... I already have this whole "better buffer" thing kinda figured out already...Wink 

just holding out to finish my testing - and for 'dramatic effect'...

P.S. - Mark, the 'secret' is not that the commercial mix is more concentrated...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 7:48pm

Hint:  

What are the Top 4 "ingredients" in a stony corals skeleton?

1) Calcium Carbonate

2) Magnesium

3) --------------

4) --------------

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:26pm
Strontium and Molybdenum(sp?)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:27pm
1 right & 1 wrong, Ryan...

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 9:32am
Are you talking about elements or minerals?

Several years ago, Jon Finch our resident Chemical Engineer/Chemist was making a better two part additive. I imagine it can be found in a search. As I recall the end result was that using the two Sodas and Calcium Chloride, and adding the the commonly available manufactured additives for trace elements was easier and less costly than trying to make your own B-ionic.  
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 12:34pm
C'mon  Mark, play along Wink

I am talking about trying to duplicate a commercial buffer like Kent Superbuffer dKH, or ESV B-Ionic ... Superbuffer dKH is my alk dosing chemical of choice right now. I like it because it not only does a good job with alk but helps keep pH around / above 8.2... and I prefer the powder over the liquid stuff because you get more product for your $$$.

And they are not made up only of Sodium Carbonate & Bicarbonate, so using the standard "DIY" 4:1 mix of Carb / Bicarb is not a complete solution, IMO...

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 9:56am
I'm looking forward to your results. I know B-ionic includes several additional ingredients.
I am playing along. Wink To be honest I am still trying to find the answer to your quiz. I'm thinking it might be potassium, but it could also be sodium or phosphorus. I just don't know.

I agree that Soda is not always enough for some, but when you add in the trace elements provided by feeding and monthly 10% water changes, don't you think the average reef aquarium will do just fine with the basic Alk, Ca and Mg homemade mixes?

Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 12:28am
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

AND... I already have this whole "better buffer" thing kinda figured out already...Wink 

just holding out to finish my testing - and for 'dramatic effect'...

P.S. - Mark, the 'secret' is not that the commercial mix is more concentrated...

How long do you plan on holding out for?  
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:23am
Are we there yet?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 3:32am
In my head I'm there, Mark LOL

I've just been super busy at work - like 65 hr workweeks - and not quite finished with the actual chem work on the ALK blend just yet

Have the proportions to 3 ingredients ready (and the actual ingredients) just need to figure out the proportions for the 4th one... then formulate the blend procedure and times, etc.

(Can you tell I work for a pharma Co? LOL)

Looking to have an initial batch of around 30 - 40 kg ready maybe in time for the MWRF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also been working out my own version of the 'ultimate' reef food that's been kicking around in my head for a few months now. A single food that will truly feed your entire reef...

Way better than even Rod's... trust me Wink

If I can actually do it the way I have thought it out, it will be truly unique food item Shocked

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 9:58am
awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic