Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy 150 Gallons Of Madness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 11:12pm
Lights Up.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 10:59am
That's a very nice growth of coral.Thumbs Up
My comments regarding your tank will be exactly what I recommend for so many other tanks.
You have a marvelous opportunity to improve the flow and the aquascaping to increase the health and beauty of this tank now and in the long term.
Come to the Mountainwest Reef Fest so I can show you what I mean.  Here is an example and we can discuss this further then or now:

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 11:21am

Now i see what you mean.The less rock physically touching the sand the better.Really Hard with literally all the rock haveing some form of coral on it.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 7:52pm
I was in a hurry this morning.
Moving rock up off the sand is not so hard. Small pieces of clean Utah Rock set in the sand can support larger pieces of LR.
The more open the sand, the better it can do it's job. LS is about 50% of the tanks filtration.

The other thing is flow. See those powerheads and the return nozzle aiming down? We have discovered that pointing water streams up toward the surfaqce is a much better way to oxygenate the tank and also is a better use of water flow. Move the powerheads down close to the sand and aim them diagonally up at the water surface, even hitting each other at the top center. Goosneck the return nozzles up so they make the surface ripple. The two main powerheads in the tank above are hidden. The center powerhead is a "Poormans Wavemaker" Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 9:45pm
Well here is what i came up with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 9:57pm

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 10:47pm
Thumbs Up You get a gold star Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 10:55am
i thought i heard mention of a check not a gold star. Thanks for all the help

mark.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 12:18pm
I usually do this for free, but I'll accept your check. Wink
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 12:28pm
Those tanks are Beautiful!
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 2:27pm
Love the new rock work!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 2:45pm
amazing pic, the anemone stands out looks like its neon color

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 12:20pm

Thanks to Mark for all the Help and Advice i reconstructed the rock work and also since i can now see more of the gravel-sand i was using.I felt that this would be the icing on the cake.I added 70 pounds of live sand over a course of two days.Now the System is Complete.

Thanks again Mark,could not have done it with out you.Thumbs Up

jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:28pm
Looks great! Clap
150 in the works

8g Biocube,minijet 606,par38 led and Intank media tower,koralia nano
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 5:17pm
I am truly impressed by how you took my suggestions and the pic of my old tank and came up with aquascaping that opens it up beautifully. The way you have placed rocks jutting out over the sand is wonderful. I know how hard it is not to fill every hole with another rock or coral, but you did it. There is both beautiful form and function.Clap

If you don't mind, I'll make one other comment. Notice how the top of the reef structure creates an almost straight horizontal line. It's hard to make that line crooked by creating saddles, peaks and valleys but it sure looks more natural and artistic, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 22 2010 at 8:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic