Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snapped Center Brace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snapped Center Brace
    Posted: October 10 2010 at 1:58pm
My first emergency.

I was playing around on the computer this morning and I heard a noise come from the tank. Upon examination I saw that the center brace had snapped. It had been repaired in the past, obviously the repair job wasn't quite adequate.

This is what it looks like now:

I've got a brace to hold it together, but as you can see, it's a very temporary solution.

Should I try gluing the brace back together? Should I make something new to hold it together? The front of the tank moved out about a half inch from where it was before, so I'm pretty sure something needs to hold it there. What do all of you think would be best?
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 2:02pm
What is that brace made out of? Depending on what it is you might be able to fix it but chances are it will snap again...
Chance Evans
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 2:04pm
It's plastic.
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 2:21pm
I helped fix a tank like this. We used a peace of a acrylic and weld-on 
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 2:31pm
Do you think two 4" pieces (one on top and one on bottom) would be enough? How thick should the acrylic be? It's a 3' wide bowfront.
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 2:39pm
We just did one on the top

Edited by jcoulter17 - October 10 2010 at 3:27pm
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 9:00pm
Dude, just take a similiar strip of plastic and a few nylon bolts and nuts and your good to go. I have noticed acrylic and ABS plastic don't bond all that well if its a high stress joint.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 11:20pm
Um, not that I know everything, but I doubt there's much to worry about here... How big is your bowfront? I say this since you're not seeing much movement between the two broken pieces. Sometimes the trim on bowfronts aren't really necessary. For example, I bet I could pull the whole top plastic trim piece off of our 144 half-circle at work and nothing would happen. How do I know? Because it's sagging, with no real tension force in it.

Just my two cents. If it makes you feel better, fix it.

Corey

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 12:50am
I agree with all the comments above. Not a big deal but peace of mind is priceless.
Bolts are more secure and a flat piece of 1/4" acrylic will be good enough with 4 nylon bolts available at one hardware store or another. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 9:12am
If you need some acrylic I have a piece here you can have.
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 12:41pm
I got a piece of acrylic scrap a few weeks ago and tried weld-on, sumpcrab was right, it didn't bond well at all. I'm going to stop by the hardware store and pick up some nylon nuts and bolts today and finally fix it and get rid of that big metal clamp.

Thanks everybody for the help.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 3:23pm
That metal clamp gives it quite the cool industrial look.  I say give it a couple months and make sure you won't miss it before you go down the "nuts and bolts" road.

Wink
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 4:53pm
It's already been a couple of months. I turned the clamp so it was mostly on its side and took the front of the hood off so I would be able to use the lights. The biggest problem is that many times I've been doing something in the sump and when I finish, I stand and hit my head on the clamp. I can't wait for this to get resolved.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 10:51am
LOL
Thinking about all the times we stand up and hit our heads on something we knew was there...That gave me a good chuckle this Christmas morning. Thanks.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic