Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screw in Tank, Screwed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screw in Tank, Screwed?
    Posted: October 11 2010 at 10:52am
I was checking on a fan noise on my 29gal. Bio cube and was taking off the light shield when I dropped all six of the screws.  I found all but one.  Are there any problems with the screw hurting the tank if I don't find it?  It is the screw that came with the tank.  Any help would be great.  Thanks in advance, Glen.
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 10:57am
One little screw is not going to hurt anything, Glen.

Even if it starts to rust

Of course, if you do come across it later, take it out
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 11:00am
I agree with Bob.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 11:05am
Rust is nothing but Iron in the tank. A lot of people supplement iron for algae growth.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 1:07pm
Thanks to all, but I did find it hidden in a rock.  Big smile
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

One little screw is not going to hurt anything, Glen.

Even if it starts to rust

Of course, if you do come across it later, take it out

I actually disagree, a screw in the tank can be a major problem.  I have found cheaper screws are just plated brass, which we all know made of copper and tin.  When I was first starting out I accidentally dropped a "silver" screw in to my 120g.  I didnt think much of it.  For about almost a year, I couldn't figure out why I could keep any corals a live.  I changed light fixtures, salt, upgraded my skimmer, installed an RO, and every other thing I could think of but no luck.  Then one day, I decided to move my tank for the hell of it.  While doing so I found that "silver" screw which all the silver was gone leaving only the brass core. 
After removing the screw and re-setting up the tank, I magically was able to keep corals alive. 
There is always the chance that there was something else wrong with the tank, but I didnt change anything else besides move it 11ft to the other side of the room and remove the screw.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 6:55pm
When I do that I have a small magnet on a stick so I can retrieve it
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 7:47pm
LeRoy Headlee, www.garf.org was always saying one of the three cardinal rules about keeping a Marine aquarium was "No Metal".
I agree that a little rust won't hurt a thing but copper is deadly. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 3:39pm
Haha, I have done the same thing on my biocube. I also get that same fan noise you were talking about. Do you know what causes it? Every morning when I  turn the fans on they make a loud noise so I have to bang on the cover until it stops.Angry

29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by ZACH ZACH wrote:

Haha, I have done the same thing on my biocube. I also get that same fan noise you were talking about. Do you know what causes it? Every morning when I  turn the fans on they make a loud noise so I have to bang on the cover until it stops.Angry

Fan noise can be caused by dirty or old fans.  If the fans get to much dust build up they wear out quickly. You can sometimes clean them off an they will work fine, but you may find they need to be replaced.

ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 3:47pm
okay, sounds good
Thanks
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 3:52pm
Rattling can also be:
- that the screws are not all tight, resolved with a screwdriver or wrench
- harmonic vibration, resolved by bumping or kicking the unit
- loose screws in the head, also resolved by kicking the unit
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Rattling can also be:
- that the screws are not all tight, resolved with a screwdriver or wrench
- harmonic vibration, resolved by bumping or kicking the unit
- loose screws in the head, also resolved by kicking the unit

LOL  LOL
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 11:03pm
It looks like all can be fixed by "Kicking the Unit"!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 11:26pm
Hmm, that might work on a few other things around the house...
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Remind me not to come to your house when I have problems because I don't want to get kicked in the unit

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 12:02am
Using Mark's advice on people could result in collateral damage such as bruises, black eyes, and/or broken noses.
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 1:04am
Originally posted by chk4tix chk4tix wrote:

Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Remind me not to come to your house when I have problems because I don't want to get kicked in the unit

LMBOLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic