Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sick Achilles Tang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sick Achilles Tang
    Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:11pm
Tonight I just noticed that my Achilles Tang has what looks like a zit right on his left eye.  I am guessing that it is ick, but I am not for sure.  He is swiming and eating normal other than his eye he looks just fine.  All my other fish are just fine no other syptoms to speak of.  Please let me know what to do so all my fish dont die and hopefully help him get better.  Thanks JT
45 reef with t5's
125 reef with 2 400 Watt mh's
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:49pm
JT - how long have you had the achilles?  They are notoriously one of the most difficult fish to keep!  Supply the fish with plenty of food and if it continues to eat, it may fight off any parasites it may have.

You may also try lowering the salinity, however in a reef tank you will have to be careful not to cause other problems.

Good luck.
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:52pm
I have only had him for two weeks, he eats like a pig so hopefully he will pull out of it.  thanks for the help.  JT
45 reef with t5's
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:53pm
Achilles tangs are prone to disease in all forms so unfortunately it is one of those fish that has a terrible survival rate in captivity, thus most sites designate it expert only. It sounds like this could be a case of pop-eye. The best (and really only) way to treat this is in a QT tank with hyposalinity (1.011-1.013) and a sulfa based antibiotic such as Maracyn Plus (Sulfadimidine or Sulfamethazine). The dosage should be double what is recommended for FW fish, treat it for at least 7-10 doses. You should see improvement after 3-5 days.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:57pm
Eating is a good chance of survival, Achille like everyone said is really tough to keep it alive on captivity, i tried with a copperband manage to survive for a month, im terrible keeping this type of fish
mmellor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmellor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 7:48am
It's does sound like pop eye and I had a sunburst that got it and it went away with out any extra treatment.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 10:15am
No simple answer here.Ermm

Is there a Cleaner Shrimp in the tank?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 10:57am
No I dont think so I only have 3 pepperment shrimp, should I get one if so what kind?  Thanks JT
45 reef with t5's
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 5:40pm
No guarantees, but I have seen Cleaner Shrimp pick at problems/sores/etc. on fish until it was gone. If this is truly Pop-eye, this may not help, but if it is a parasite or other sore, the fish may let the Cleaner do it's job.

Skunk Cleaner or Fire Shrimp will do. Try to choose one that actually is cleaning in the LFS tank.

Acclimate by exchanging water slowly over 45-60 minutes in a good plastic container. Release it with lights out and watch it move around. They are prone to heart failure within minutes after introduction. Sometimes, it seems there is nothing we can do to stop that, but if you catch the shrimp dieing, soon after introduction, maybe the LFS will give you a replacement.

Oh, I assume you were feeding Garlic Oil for the first few days or so. Not a bad idea to do some more.

Hope this helps.Smile
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 11:28am
Im on it thanks mark
45 reef with t5's
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 11:35am
Do you have a pic of the Tang?
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 2:54pm
I will get a pic up when I get home from school, he is still eating, swiming, and breathing good and I dont see any other signs other than his eye.
45 reef with t5's
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 4:50pm
Fish died, thanks for all your help.
45 reef with t5's
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 4:37pm
bummer Cry
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 8:04pm
Sad to hear. Those are really nice fish. are you planning to substitute your Tang?
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:35pm
these kinds of posts really irritate the hell out of me. Do research.. achilles tangs do NOT belong in a 125... they need 200 plus gallons of water. They dont survive well in captivity anyways and shouldnt be brought in by beginners. I hate to see so many posts with these beautiful fish dying. I hope this is a lesson to you and others. There are certain fish that shouldnt be in our tanks at all... clown tangs, sohal tangs, etc... and there are MANY that have special needs and should not be tried out by beginners and only bought when your tank is very stable and has the right requirements for these fish...

what a shame
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 2:13pm
I'm sorry to hear about your fish.  We have all bought fish and lost them.  Achilles are difficult even for the most seasoned hobbyists and most do not live long. 

Crystal has a good point about researching fish (or any specimen) before you buy and bring it home.  With information so readily available on the internet, you can likely get a very good idea how certain fish will do in your tank.

I think its hard to say how many gallons of water a fish needs to thrive.  Even a large aquariums (like a 210) provide only a small fraction of the area most fish are accustomed to when they're collected.  I have seen large fish in small(ish) tanks do extremely well - Dion's blue spot comes immediately to mind.  But surgeon fish in particular seem to need more space than most other readily available fish.

Use this as a learning opportunity and the next time you find a beautiful fish, you'll be better prepared for it. 

Good luck!
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 12:33am
Thanks for all your help, sorry to upset you crystal I am not a beginner I have had a saltwater fish only tank for the last ten years.  One of my good friends has had his achilles in a 110 for the last year with no problems.  Most of the web sights I looked at said 100+ not 200+ including foster and smith where I purchased the fish.
Achilles Tang
(Acanthurus achilles)
 QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 100 gallons
45 reef with t5's
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 5:31pm

those are guidlines. and your friend is certainly outside the norm and 200 gallons is a rule. its a guideline. there are a lot of factors that the achilles tangs need... high turnover rate, extremely oxygenated water, Pristine water quality, calm tankmates, Lots of really random high flow. Even if he has one now in a 110 it is not big enough for that fish long term. Fish grow... which is why a lot of them SHOULDNt be kept in tanks.. they outgrow even the largest personal tanks. I dont think anyone should buy a fish that they cannot provide for long term. Because if you do.. you arent being responsible and ideas of rehoming it to a larger tank later are lofty. i see soo many tangs that have HLLE and are very obviously stressed in their tanks.. either because of size.. water quality or lack of food. Its terrible. I currently have a 12" dussimer tang that I took off someone else in the club.. it was living in a 150. The person had gotten it as a juvi and in a few years it was very quickly 10 inches... it had HLLE very bad and had a hard time comfortably turning around in the tank. He now lives in a 300 gallon and is soon moving into a 900 gallon. he is honestly... too large for the 300, but thats the best he is going to get right now. His HLLE has completely healed with the larger tank etc and he is a totally differnt fish. comes out of the water on the top to get his nose rubbed just like a dolphin. In his other tank he was skittish.. hid often and only came out for food. we are the stewards of this hobby and we need to be responsible about our purchases.

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
jessedidthis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessedidthis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 5:39pm
It isn't so much the gallons of the tank but the length of the tank. a 6' tank is recommended.

I had one of these for a while - It sounds like iche (these fish are prone to disease as you know.) don't panic or do crazy water changes or nuke your entire tank, it will make it worse.

I recommend garlic with nori you are feeding. I got mine to eat spectrum and that really helped him out.

Unfortunately one day I woke up and he had died. No signs of problems. I spent a fortune on him so I thought it was appropriate to give him a burial in my garden.

Good luck
Jesse Stewart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic