Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is wrong?
    Posted: October 20 2010 at 8:30pm
I have had my tank up and running for just under 3 months.  I have a brown web-like stringy mess that seems to be covering a lot of rock and some of my corals, especially the kenya trees.  In addition, I generally turn off my pumps when I feed the fish and I notice that when the pumps are off for just a few minutes a brown wispy haze starts to surround almost everything in the tank.  My params as of 10/18 were:
Temp: 78.4
pH: 8.4
Alk: 3.5 meq/L or 9.8dKH
Calcium: 410
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
Total Ammonia: 0
Mag: 1125

I added some Mg supplement after I checked these on Monday but this brown slime has been going on for a couple of weeks now.  I only use RO water and I check my water regularly and have never had issues with Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia.  I have a 55g tank with a 55g sump/refug and I "try" to do 5g water changes once a week.  I have a 4x 54w T5 light system with 3 Blue+ and 1 Aquablue.  I have 4 fish and feed them once a day.  Any ideas, suggestions... I tried to add some pictures but I get an error saying they are the wrong format even though they are .jpg.

55g display with 55g sump/refug
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 8:52pm
Create a photobucket account and upload them there, then copy and paste the bb code for each pic into your posts. They'll show up great. Your nitrate is really 0? Most tanks, especially those without carbon dosing or a denitrator don't ever reach 0, however if the algae is really bad it is probably eating up the nitrates. It sounds like some form of diatom to me. Personally I would stop the weekly water changes, as this contributes to algae blooms. I would do something more like 10% monthly (I only change the water in my tank every couple of months). 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 9:14pm
Here are the pics (thanks for the advice Steve). I have never shown nitrate more than 0.  I use the API test.  I guess I could be testing incorrectly but the instructions seem pretty straight forward.

4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 10:20pm
How much and what kind of flow do you have in your tank? For a 55 gallon I would try and get around 1000gph in the display, more than that wouldn't hurt.
Some day, when I grow up,...

James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 11:02pm
I have 2 koralia evolution 1050 powerheads and my sump returns to both corners with rio 26h pump. I was concerned that maybe I had too much flow because some of the corals seem to be pushed over.
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 8:30am
I can see what youre talking about but I wouldnt be overly concerned. A 3 month old tank is very new and will probably go through several little changes as it matures. Algae spikes of different forms and colors and bizarre little growths of this and that will come and go. Just chill and let it do its thing Smile
Life is good....right?
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 8:55am
Thanks.  I did open up the ball valves a bit more on the pipes going from the sump/refug back to the DT.  From what I can see this morning, it appears to be making a positive impact.  
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 9:32am
Steve has said the truth about water changes.

The algae is a dinoflagellate. It's normal but not every tank grows that much of it.
I see from the pics that there is also a Cyanobacteria growing on all surfaces.

There are not enough snails. How many of what types are in the tank?

What are the photoperiods of the Display and Refugium lights?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:40am
That's good to know, I thought the red was early growth of corraline.  I probably have around 20-25 snails in the tank with a mix of cerith, astrea, margarita and necesomething plus a couple of turbo snails.  I also have a few stelenetta snails that have reproduced and can see a bunch of new tiny ones on parts of the glass.  I'm guessing I need to get more snails.  I was adding them gradually due to it being a new tank but it sounds like I should probably dump another 20-30 in there.  Any specific types I should get?  I have about 10 hermits and they seem to like to cause problems...killing each other, killing my snails.  I don't plan on putting more hermits in my tank unless they are scarlets (my two scarlets don't seem to cause problems).  I also have two emerald crabs that seem to do great.  DT lights (4x54w T5) are on from 1-10PM and refug lights (Home Depot 6500k reflector light) are on from 9PM to 6 AM.
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:22am
This is pretty normal but without taking action it may lead to other algae problems. If it were me, I'd do the following:
- stop feeding for a few days and add 10-15 Astrea. (trade out some bad Hermits for Snails)
- turn on the Refugium lights 24 hours per day until the Dinoflagellates and Cyano dies back
- Since more flow seemed to help, I'd go in with my hand and waft everything to get the loose soft algae off the surfaces and down the drain
- check the Alk and Ca to be sure they are within range
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:30am
Thanks!
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:52am
That is why I like the micro hermits because they are too small to really attack anything except each other.  And you can get a ton for really cheap!

My first tank was a 55gal as well and I had the same issues as you.  I had brown slime algae and my hermits would kill each other.  I did add more flow to my display and this helped with the slime.  

Also I want to add that as your tank becomes more mature you will have more available food for hermits to eat.  This will probably cut back on them eating and beating each other up.  Can't blame them, they just want to survive!
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:25pm
I've found that pretty much all hermits will tear eachother up when there are too many. I have probably 15 Blue Leg's in my tank now and they never seems to bother each other, but I have about 200-250 snails or various types (margarita, cerith, astrea) give or take a few to eat all the algae that builds up. The hermits are more for eating the uneaten food that my starfish don't get. I also have 3 sea cucumbers and 6 fighting conchs to keep the sand clean.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic