Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xenia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenia
    Posted: November 22 2004 at 3:15am

Someone stated that the message board needed alittle more humor in it so here it goes

I was looking on the net for coral last night and found a websight selling Xenia

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?pro ducts_id=642&parent_category=4&category_search=62&am p;root_parent_id=4

Did ya catch the price 50 bones holy toledo

So my recomendation is that we as a club gather all the xenia we can and sell it at half the price. (I know Dan Sahepard alone is worth a few thousand at that price,)

So we sell it as a fund raiser and all those that contribute take the money we fly to Australia pick up some real good stuff right off the reef come home and share the wealth

All I do is fly planes and look at this stupid website.

Admit you have a problem
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 6:20am
Actually that is not that bad a price.  Did you notice it said free shipping.  That alone almost costs that much.  Also  I've seen smaller pieces than that in the local stores costing almost that much.  I myself used to sell single heads to the LFS for $10 ea. and they would double the price and more and could sell almost all I could bring for about a year.  Unfortunatly the market has become saturated so now I usually just give it away or throw it away.  I did make about $1,000 off of xenia before the market dried up.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 6:33am
Xenia is actually in fairly high demand.  The problem is that it doesn't ship well.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 5:15pm

the catch with the whole free shipping is that you have to order 75 bucks which still is really good but for those of us here in utah its much easier to ask someone for it than spend fifty bucks to get a peice from Florida in two days

Plus dont you find some humor in it?

Admit you have a problem
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 5:34pm

Definitely!         Lemme see... I've got about $300 worth of silver tip alone.  Then about $100 in Pink Pom Pom, and who knows how much the encrusting xenia is worth.   I've never seen it in anyone else's tank.  Wait!  I should sell it on E-bay.  Ha ha!   (But actually I have seen Halimeda algae on E-bay for $45 a clump.)

Are you liking this hobby, danhenrie?

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 6:21pm
So ... Renee... what is encrusting xenia?
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 6:52pm
Do you do any gardening?  Ever heard of "ground cover?"   It grows in a similar pattern to green star polyps.  It grows by spreading out.  It's about 4" tall, pink, and is lovin life in my tank.
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 6:25am

Have any of yall heard of blue xenia I found ome on a site it looks way cool like regulare xenia but blue it floreses and pulse lightly

As for the hobby I need a better paying job

there are few things I have tried that are as challenging or rewarding, I love coming home after work walking into my room and having my black and white clown hapy to see me its AWESOME

Admit you have a problem
P.C Pond buildr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2004 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Weimers Weimers wrote:

who knows how much the encrusting xenia is worth.   I've never seen it in anyone else's tank.  Wait!  I should sell it on E-bay. 

HMMM where did you get this "encrusting devil weed"? I want half of e-bay sales

WMAS resident fathead :)
2000 gallons of salt.
St George Ut
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2004 at 8:57pm

Don't you like it, Tracy?  In my tank, it took ages to get happy.  A couple of months ago, it started going nuts.  It has only covered the shell, and a couple of small spots beyond the shell.  I think it's pretty happy, though!  Thank you!

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 5:56am
So should encrusting xenia be worth more sense its harder to make happy?

Admit you have a problem
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 6:52am

I think it was less than thrilled because of alkalinity.  I didn't know that alkalinity was important.  I think it was around the time that Tracy did landscaping for us that I learned about it. 

But I'd definitely agree with danhenrie on this one...     So should encrusting xenia be worth more sense its harder to make happy?     Sure, you bet! 

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic