Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 gallon frag tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 gallon frag tank?
    Posted: November 06 2010 at 10:40pm
so i want to try something i have a 10 gallong tank and i've being thinking about making it into a mini frag tank nothing fancy and no fish just frags, and i was wondering if i need a skimmer and where would i get one that small and also if i need lr and ls? or can  i just put egg crate, for the power heads im not sure if i should do one koralia or 2, any sugestions?
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 11:42pm
You can just go egg crate, power heads / hob skimmer / hob filter and call it a day. I would probably go with 1-2 Koralia Evolution 420's
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 11:49pm
skimmer would not be necessary but beneficial. since its only a frag tank it wont produce alot of N componds compounds. just having HOB and macroalgae and regular water changes should be enough if you are on a tight budget
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 7:06am
In a tank that small you really don't need a skimmer at all. I've been running skimmerless with tanks from 10 to 55 gallons for a couple years without any issues. On smaller tanks it's easier to keep up your water quality and down the nutrients with frequent water changes.

On a 10 Gallon tank a WC can be done in less than a minute.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 8:43am
Anything will work, but here are some tips.
Hobbyists don't often realize it until it's too late, but it's harder for the cleanup crew to reach frags suspended on eggcrate. Frags sitting on a sand bed are cleaner. The sand bed has two other important benefits.

2- When feeding frags, leftover food also feeds the bugs and worms in the sand. The larvae of those microorganisms feed the coral frags, mostly at night. Smile

3- LS is more than 50% of a reef tanks filtration. Oolitic sand or even just a 1" layer of Oolitic sand underneath larger sand or rubble really ensures that N is kept low enough to grow good coral.

HOB filters are optional but if left out, coral will be able to feast all night. Thumbs Up

You could also hook it up to the main tank. If it sits at the same water level, all that's needed for water flow is a pump and a "U" tube. A MaxiJet 1200 would be perfect.
I would only use LR to raise SPS frags closer to the light, which btw, could be as simple as a daylight twist PC in a $6 clip-on cone reflector. Be sure to secure the reflector so it cannot fall into the water.Ouch

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 07 2010 at 8:51am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 10:46am
I agree with Mark about Eggcrate for holding frags. CeramEco has just started a new product line of frag stations made form VidaRock which add biological filtration, allow the clean up crew to easily work on keeping the frag plugs clean and look pretty cool as well.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 12:03pm
thank you all for your tips, i think i will do lr and ls 
It's not about what you know but about who you know
kay181 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kay181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 9:05pm
what lights are you going to use? i use a small power sweep powerhead  i think its like 250gph or so  and maxijet 1200 for the return pump it has alot of flow  hook up to my main tank
day light scares me im going back under
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic