Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plate Coral question about healing process

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmokeyBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plate Coral question about healing process
    Posted: November 11 2010 at 3:25pm
As some of you know I had an overheating problem this past summer while I was out of town. As a result, half of my plate coral died.. Well a little more than half, but the mouth was still alive and well, so I just moved it towards the back of the tank to see if it would pull through.

It has! Tentacles are coming out daily now, which makes me happy..

My question is about the healing process this thing is doing to itself. It appears as if 20 new mouths are forming on the outer region of the dead area. Can anyone confirm this from these pics? It's covered in sand because my dragon goby likes to spit all over it.

Will it heal properly over time? These little so called mouths are starting to produce tiny little tentacles too! Is this thing going to be half plate half mouths? I am perplexed here.

jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 3:30pm

its having babies Thumbs Up

150 in the works

8g Biocube,minijet 606,par38 led and Intank media tower,koralia nano
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 3:50pm
there is a thread on reef2reef about a plate dying then starting to produce tons (it seems like it stated maybe a hundred, though i could be exaggerating that!) of babies.   it said if you leave it, it will continue to produce.   that would be sweet!  i wwill try and find a link to that after work
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 3:53pm
150 in the works

8g Biocube,minijet 606,par38 led and Intank media tower,koralia nano
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 3:59pm
those mouths kinda look like blastos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 4:17pm
I love how quick people are on these forums. I've been to forums where you wait weeks for a reply. Thanks guys!

Wow.. He made them wait 7 months to see pictures! I showed yall in the same day. haha..

And yea, they do look kind of like blastos.

I guess we see how long they grow before I pop them off?

Good things come out of a tragedy I guess. Almost considered throwing her out after the overheating killed off so many other things.

Edited by SmokeyBear - November 11 2010 at 4:30pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 9:14pm
Clap Congrats Papa.
This is why I never toss a coral skeleton.Smile
This happens a lot. Fungia are famous for it. There have been many people here that have sold hundreds of the "babies". They pry off pretty easy and can grow pretty fast when set on their own area of sand or glued with superglue to a small flat rock.
I hate "sand throwing" Gobies and Jawfish because of how they mess up these things. They also decimate the bug and worm population in a sand bed. Not good. Ouch
Anyway, this is a pic of a grown baby Fungia. You will find a lot of people interested in the grown babies.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 12:00pm
Mark is correct.  This happens often, especially with LPS corals.  I have had Frogspawn and Bubble corals do this after the colony has died.  I am currently nursing a bubble coral baby hoping it will grow into a large colony and have had a dead frogspawn skeleton come back 2 full years after it died.  It is now a beautiful colony.

Good luck raising these.  It would be cool to see them in many members tanks in the future.  It could also help you fund more corals for your tank.
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 12:14pm
I am currently experiencing the same thing.  Had a diamond goby burry mine and I didn't notice until it was dead :(  But I had heard that they pop out babies like crazy when they die so I left mine in the tank.  

Well shortly after I began seeing little orange specs all over the skeleton.  Now Im certain they are baby plates.  I will try and get a picture tonight.  I currently have around 10 babies growing on the skeleton of the original.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 4:08pm
I'd love to see a pic of that Brandon! After reading that article on the guy with the red one, it really made me want a red one. 
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:32am
Sorry about the delay on the picture.  I have a camera but its at the cousins house.  Tried with the phone but it was not clear enough to even post.  Should have one soon once the camera is returned.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic