Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sea urchin poked me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sea urchin poked me
    Posted: November 24 2010 at 11:43pm
so i was feeding my anemone and my long spiny urchin poked my finger, i was reading online that they are venemous, can someone tell me if its true because i have herd from some people that they are not, someone help please Confused
It's not about what you know but about who you know
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 12:10am
I've been stung several times...soak your finger in some white vinegar and I'm sure you'll be fine.  If you get dizzy or something like that, then I'd go seek some medical attention.  Chances are you'll be just fine though. 

210 gallon Mixed Reef
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 12:18am
thank god its being almost an hour and not feeling anything different i soaked my finger in hot water to try and disolve the venom if any but i will try the vinager now just to be on the safe side,
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 12:26am
Sounds like you are not allergic...good stuff!  Keep an eye out for that guy next time, huh? Wink
210 gallon Mixed Reef
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 12:29am
yeah i almost became lunches lunch hahaha 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 12:39am
When I got stung by my frogspawn I must have been allergic as about a half hour later I got dizzy and started to have blurry vision. I am allergic to benedryl but luckily had the allergy stuff I can use handy. I took that and told my husband if I pass out take m to the hospital LOL:(
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 12:54am
I got stung awhile back and found the old surfer remedy...just pee on your finger.   Personally, I used the vinegar!
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 2:54am
i got stung by the sea spine urchin when i was transfering   my tank i did not feel any pain after 5 minutes. felt like a bee sting i just rinse it with cold water and i went away. just got to remember where is the urchin before performing any maintance to the tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 6:25am
Even more irritating than being lightly poked is when the tip of the Urchin spine breaks off under the skin. Ouch Ouch

Gloves are a very good thing for people that are allergic to these territorial/defense chemicals.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 10:06am
It was probably less painful than a lionfish or rabbitfish sting, right Mark?

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 11:21am
Nothing beats my last diving experience. I was diving off of Lana'i Island in Hawaii and wasn't watching where I put my hand (with a glove on mind you) and I stuck in right into a long spiny sea urchin. I got about 15 quills in my hand and about half that made it through my glove. Several tips broke off in the skin and I could see the purple venom traveling into my finger tips and my whole arm felt like it was hit with a sledge hammer.

Man that crap hurt!

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - November 25 2010 at 1:54pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 12:43pm
I've been stung and it hurts!  Hot water, and time.  That's about all I could tell you.  Obvioulsy if you feel woozy or something I'd head for medical help.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 1:04pm
Getting stung is fairly common for divers and surfers.  I Hawaii they call it getting a Hawaiian Tattoo when you get stung (since usually the barb breaks off and leaves a little black mark under the skin).  They hurt, but unless you are allergic you shouldn't have a problem.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 1:19pm
didnt feel anything after, so i guess im not alergic
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 9:31pm
My Lionfish and I had an understanding. We would each give the other space we needed.
I did get poked by my Rabbitfish. There was a dull pain for a couple hours. I did what Adam said and I'm sure it shortened the time.

After all the time I have had my hands and arms in saltwater and all the times I've removed my hands with nematocysts clinging all over them, I'm very grateful that my body seems able to handle it.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
dons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 10:55pm
I had my hand in my tank doing some maintenance and got startled by something behind me and jerked my hand back right into the urchin and took it at least three times right at the base of my hand.  I think the spines actually went in far enough to either go deep into the muscle or even hit the bone at the base of my thumb and wrist.  That was several months ago and it still hurts.  I did get a little dizzy and had a headache but it eventually went away.  Just the pain still in my hand, just a dull ache.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 11:02pm
You should see a physician to check that pain, that pains should not last for months.
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 8:48pm
"Even more irritating than being lightly poked is when the tip of the Urchin spine breaks off under the skin. Ouch" 

I second that. I think I still have a peice in my thumb from 8 years ago...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic