Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brown Jelly Disease

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown Jelly Disease
    Posted: November 26 2010 at 1:06am
I just say brown stuff expanding from one of my torch corals before i went to bed, it was fine before i turn off the lights and then decided to check on them before i went to sleep turn on the lights and bam! it was sticking out off the torch head, I am confused and scared, how did this happen? why did it appear out of nowhere? Is there any chance it can infect other Corals? i pull it out into a QT tank damn it and some of it when airborne im really scared this can infect other corals. What should i do?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 9:08am
Most likely it's just expelling waste and looks fine this morning.
Do you feed this coral? What do you feed it?
Can you post a pic or send a pic to me at [email protected]?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 10:59am
I took it out before i took a pic i did not thought of that possibility I dont feed it directly but probably catch the frozen shrimp that floats. Looks fine on the QT i'll keep a watch if anything else happen
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 1:00pm
I've had BJI ( brow jelly infection) before and with a torch coral. It comes fast and hard. Here is a pic to help you identify it-

Healthy-

BJI-

If it is BJI it's most likely your torch will die and it's not as infectious as you might think, however get it out in a QT asap with the least amount of debris falling off possible. I would suggest doing an emergency water change as well if you want to be super safe. As far as treatment, you can blow off the dead matter with a power head and give it an iodine dip but this didn't work for me. 

Good luck!

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - November 26 2010 at 1:01pm
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 1:13pm
Mine did not look like that it was coming from the middle of the head, like smoke and just hanging  from the mouth it was brown and slimy. It has not complety retrated so far the torch looks ok, i'll keep a close watch in case. Dang to bad its a protozoa thats causes this disease
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 5:15pm
Then it sounds like Mark hit the nail on the head, it's pooping. Count yourself lucky, BJI sucks balls. It's pretty much a death sentence for the infected coral.

Micah
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 5:39pm
Mine does that every few days and it's just waste on mine. I hope that is what yours is.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 5:39pm
im a bit reliefed. it was brown and slimy i thought it was brown jelly. i'll keep it in qt for a couple of days and i messed up badly i did not acclimated it to the QT water. dang it my fear got the best of me. dang it. does the BJI infect soft. or sps?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 5:55pm
It mostly sticks with softies and LPS's, and I've not herd of it infecting SPS's though. I've had my torch and xenia colony go down because of BJI.

Micah
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 9:21pm
Flatworms are a kind of Protozoa. I wonder if Flatworm Exit/Levamisole will stop this disease?

Micah, if this has been a recurring problem for you, I suggest considering a full dose in your tank. One treatment may be just what the tank needs to eliminate the dormant population and stop the disease from returning. Alternatively, the way each tank is set up makes conditions just right for something that never shows up anywhere else. This "something" might be a good thing or a bad thing. A small change in the setup can make the difference. Do I remember correctly that it's your tank where you rake the sand and bubbles come out? If so, this combination is all quite curious and deserves further attention.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 9:45pm
i doubt that FWE will do anything to this disease it a totally different species but it does not hurt to try i'll keep in mind if this truly happens
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:52am
I've not seen BJI in over a year and a half. My theory at the time of why I got BJI twice was because I was making some major changes in the tanks chemistry. There were a lot of changes going on with the tank at that time, I was more of a  noob then I am now and sometimes wouldn't take things slow.

I'm not sure if FWE works but doing an iodine dip sure didn't.

Micah
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 2:43pm
It was not BJD, thank goodness. Like mark said it was pooping i safely return it to it orginal place, it gave me quite a scare.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic