Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90 Gallon Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90 Gallon Upgrade
    Posted: December 07 2010 at 9:12pm
I recently upgraded my 55 to a 90.  I got a screaming deal on the 90 from a guy who wanted desperately to get rid of it because the folks that set it up put in a tiny sump and no ATO system.  He wasn't able to leave the house for more than a few hours at a time for fear that the water would evaporate too fast and ruin the main pump.  Needless to say, upgrading the sump was at the top of my list when I got the tank home.

Here are some pics of the tank after I got it into my basement.  Notice the 20 gallon sump, setup with a very small return chamber whose water level lowers rapidly with evaporation.  Not to mentiion, this setup has no room for an RDP refugium.

So I found a 27 gallon tank on KSL, drilled it and installed some baffles, and of course an R/O float valve (because I'm lazy and don't like to manually top off).

One thing the installers did right was to use PVC unions on the plumbing, which made it easy for me to disassemble things, and attach my modified plumbing and a different pump.

This Velocity T4 I had on my 55 beats the Little Giant that was on the 90 for flow.  It's also dead silent.  You have to be a bit careful with heat when using these pumps, but I had no problem on my 55, and have none on the 90.  It throws so much water that I've had a tough time finding a place in the tank with a little less flow to place my wellso.

I had to cut a new door in the stand in order to install the larger (mostly longer) sump.  Also, I had to patch some cracks in the tank with a piece of acrylic and silicone.  So far no leaks!  The skimmer isn't my favorite, so I'll probably upgrade it sometime (when I sell more of the old tank stuff), but i have finally fine tuned the gate valve so it doesn't just fill the cup with water.  Notice behind the skimmer I installed a "relief" valve on the return line in case the pump produced too much flow back into the main tank.  So far I have left the valve closed.

Filling the tank.  I used about 2/3 water from both tanks, and 1/3 new water.

This is my mixing/filling station.

Al the livestock and live rock went into trash cans and buckets with heaters, airstones, and powerheads.  All the livestock survived the transfer well, with the sad exception of one of my clowns (but it's ok since I don't need more than 3).

Here it is full of water, rock and sand, and the pump running.

The next day I stacked the rock and added all the livestock.  I love the way the rock stack turned out, and finally I have a decently deep sand bed.

The next project was to rig up the lights and put them into the canopy.  I kept my 3 110W VHO's (2 actinic and 1 white) and added the 2 175W 14K halides from the original 90 setup.

Here is the final product.  I ended up leaving the one white VHO unplugged since there's almost too much light with all three VHO's and the halides on.

I'll add a few more pictures (hopefully a little better) as I have time.  Overall, I am pretty happy with how everything has turned out.

90G Mixed Reef
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 9:50pm
nice, i have been wanting to upgrade my 55 to a 90.
90 gallon mixed reef
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 9:57pm
Looking very good. Nice upgrade!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 11:54pm
Looks really nice :)
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 11:25am
Looks great! I did that I upgraded from a 55 to a 90 then to a 210!! I loved the 90 just not big enough.... Yours looks great! Do your 2 yellow tangs get along?
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 11:36am
Wow that is really nice! Your plumbing looks clean and easy to work on. I think your rock work turned out really nice as well.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 11:48am
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention dont you love having the tank stand so tall so that the tank is at a better viewing level! It makes the difference!
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 12:01pm
I saw this tank in person and it's a good looking tank!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 12:17pm
yea i would love to upgrade my 55g also...

Looks great!
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 12:46pm
Thanks guys.  Yeah I do like having the tank at a better viewing level - not as much neck and back strain to look at it.  Some day I'd like to settle down on a tank in the 200-300 gallon range, when I get a home, then I can build it into a wall somewhere and really integrate it into the space.  That's the architect in me talking.

Anyway, now I have to check my return plumbing for the cause of micro-bubbles in my tank.  My guess is that loc-line peices are letting in ever so tiny amounts of air at their joints.  I've checked all the joints under the tank and they're glued tight and I don't see any leaks.
90G Mixed Reef
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 1:13pm
Looks awesome congrates on the upgrade!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic