Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help, bubbles in DT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help, bubbles in DT.
    Posted: December 12 2010 at 2:14pm
Ok i set up my new 90 gallon yesterday and i put some baffles in my sump, the problem is i didn't put a bubble trap in the sump, so my question is how can i stop the bubbles without having to put a bubble trap in.

90 gallon mixed reef
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 2:58pm
How big is that fall from where your fuge is to the return area? Any way to raise the water level in the return area?
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 2:58pm
1. Filter sock on the end of pipes that fall into the sump

2. Slow the flow down in the sump ( by using a ball valve after your return pump) thus giving the bubbles time to float up and dissipate
Chance Evans
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 3:03pm
I have a filter sock on my drains and I NEVER have bubbles. No bubble trap in my sump either, and you won't believe the junk those socks trap.

45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 3:05pm
6 1/2 inches fall from the fuge to the return, i do have a filter sock on the inlet of the sump.
90 gallon mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 3:06pm
I cant raise the water in the return area because i already drilled the acrylic for the float valve.
90 gallon mixed reef
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 3:07pm
You can use sponges or live rock do dampin the fall

Edited by badfinger - December 12 2010 at 3:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 3:31pm
i was thinking sponges might work.
90 gallon mixed reef
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 3:31pm
Can you take a pic of your whole sump so we can see where the water enters and what not?

Is your filter sock catching the bubbles?

Is you skimmer by chance putting out bubbles close by that are getting sucked up?
Chance Evans

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 4:47pm
I adjusted my float valve and that seemed to do the trick, thanks for the help.
90 gallon mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 9:42am
If that doesn't completely eliminate the microbubbles, I'm sure we can help you come up with a simple solution. We would need to see a pic of a little more of the sump/refugium.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:35pm
ok i will get one up when the lights come on.
90 gallon mixed reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic