Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

macro just dies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EvanB756 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanB756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: macro just dies?
    Posted: December 16 2010 at 8:36am
So I just had a general question for you guys, nothing major or anything but I was just wondering.

So I have macro in my display and it grows really well, however after about a month of it being in there all of a sudden it turns brown and disolves. I've tried the feather macro and the macro with the balls all over it ha ( forget what that one is called).  The only one that doesn't just up and die is the chaeto but I'd rather keep one of the other two.

Any idea what is going on? or is this normal?

Once again thanks in advance for the help.

I have a 90gal tank with a 30gal sump

params are as follows:

temp goes from 78-82 through out the day
nitrate 10ppm
nitrite 0ppm
ammonia 0
ph 8.2
cal 410
haven't tested alk in about a week I ran out of the test solution so I have to go to the lfs today, this couldn't be a problem could it?

90gal display w/ 30gal sump.
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 8:48am

Its often just a guess as to why things do what they do, but I know that in my tank feather calupra grows better in lower temperatures like 74-76. It dies if my tank ever gets up over 78. So the fact that your temp range goes up to 82 may be the problem?

Life is good....right?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 9:31am
Jeff points out an important variable.
The water parameters you listed are some of the variables. I have not seen that kind temperature limitation for Caulerpa so there must be another variable at work in Jeff's tank that effects the Caulerpa when the temperature rises. Caulerpa has many varieties. One type will do well in one tank and not so well in another tank. The variety with the little round balls as fronds is often called Grape Caulerpa though I have seen at least 3 variations of Grape Caulerpa. Smile

One of the most important growth variables is food. Are the nutrients that are available to the algae sufficient for it's needs?  We find that Chaetomorpha is a very aggressive nutrient consumer. It often wins the competition for food/nutrients. The key to keeping Caulerpa and Chaeto, along with other Macroalgae in the same Refugium, is twofold. I'll give a general guideline here:

1- Harvest the Chaeto when it grows to more than half the amount of Caulerpa in the Refugium
2- Position the Caulerpa upstream from the Chaeto

BTW, how fast does this tank use AlkalinityQuestion Keeping Alk and Ca levels fairly constant helps keep the tank healthy. Eventually, you may not need to test weekly. I test monthly or whenever I feel the need. Just add the amount of Alkalinity that the tank has been using in the past. Do you know that Baking Soda is the Alkalinity chemical additiveQuestion
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 9:32am
there is probably not enough nutrients to support that much macro algae. that is my opinion
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 10:17am
I dump a little bit of Iron supplement in my refugium every so often. I generally get great macro growth, but I also have a 225 and feed heavy w/ frequent water changes, so there is a lot of nutrients floating around already.

With your problem, it sounds like they are just using up the available nutrients then starving. My gut tells me it's probably iron or some other kind of trace element but I'm no Macro expert.

Micah 
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
EvanB756 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanB756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 10:25am
makes sense guys, thanks. I do dose Iron but since I don't have that many fish especially for a 90gal tank i don't feed much. maybe it is that they are starving. I'll have to keep that in mind.

The temp change I don't think is it, because the caulerpa in my fuge is just fine, it never is effected by the temp swing.

maybe it's time to trim my chaeto back a bit.

I usually check alk every two weeks or so, only because I'm kind of paranoid about my tank. I know I don't have to test that much but I do anyways. I should probably check and see how much it uses every week and then just add that much. it'd probably make my life easier... maybe i just like doing things the hard way? Wacko

Edited by EvanB756 - December 16 2010 at 10:27am

90gal display w/ 30gal sump.
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 3:38pm
I was under the impression that temps that are too low cause die-backs and not the other way around. I would be suspect of your tank dipping into the 70's first and being oligotrophic (nutrient poor) second. But that depends on the age of the tank and the type of macro. After conditions in a tank stabilize (in about a year) it becomes more difficult to sustain caulerpra growth. Nutrients that are undetectable on test kits can still sustain massive growths of caulerpra which is probably the reason that it is undetectable in the first place. IMO being unable to keep caulerpa alive is a good indication that your tank is mature and stable. Also, as far as nutrient removal goes in most cases c. prolfera (blades) and c.racemosa (grapes) are much more effective than chaeto. A good way to figure this out is to just let your fuge run wild whichever species dominates over time is best suited to your system. Your fuge is an area in which you should not interfere with nature.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 9:40am
Assuming that SumpCrab/Dan's comments are based on his own experience, I would suggest that he could benefit from reading of other hobbyists experiences here locally.

For instance, in most systems, Chaetomorpha is the dominant algae.
I'm curious to know at what temperature Dan keeps his tank, if it is a reef, what kind of fish and coral, etc., etc. Smile
I agree that the more mature the system, if feeding is not overdone, the algae may grow slower.
I also agree that testing for N levels during an algae bloom yields close to zeros because the algae is eating up the pollution as fast as it occurs. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic