Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pineapple sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pineapple sponge
    Posted: December 20 2010 at 12:11am
hey i would like to get you guy's thoughts on pineapple sponges. i have tons of them growing in my sump and when i says tons i mean i have probably several hundred. i have read they are a good thing but some people have the opinion they can be from a influx of silicates. i have only used lbta or tonga rock and my sand is mostly the lake bonneville stuff. so i dont know why i would have high silicates in my water. anyway what do you guys think about them? 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 7:36am
Do you mean the Scypha Sponge pictured below?
They are normal in most tanks between 2-9 months of age but their population eventually decreases as the tank matures and things change. Probably because the nutrients they need, like silica, get used up and not replaced.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 6:33pm
yeah thats exactly what they look like 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic