Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A strange situation indeed...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A strange situation indeed...
    Posted: December 20 2010 at 11:14pm
I noticed a few days ago that my newly set up tank was running at a salinity of only 20ppt. I have since been taking steps to slowly bring it back up. I'll get to how this happened later but first the odd thing is that judging by the health of the animals, and had I not occasioned to recheck it, I would otherwise have thought (and did think) that the tanks salinity was in the proper range. That is to say that the tank has had an otherwise typical cycle with the various blooms and crashes of micro algea and plankton and there has not been the loss of even one of the various snails, crabs, shrimps, fish, corals etc that now resides in the tank. The only thing that has not survived was the few spots of ick present on my small picasso trigger (yes not "reef safe" but often the most non reef safe organism tends to be the aquarist) which disapeared the day after I added him and has not shown itself again. What is going on here? I am almost tempted to not raise the salinity as of yet as the tank is still maturing and alk/calcium levels are not a concern yet (there is only one frag of digita I am using as a test - when it begins to grow more sps will go in.

How it happened: I have had many a tank through out the years and this time I decided I needed to throw out the time tested swing arm hydrometer and start using a refractometer. Well. Maybe I am just not using it correctly but the thing gives readings that are simply just all over the place. I thought the old swing arm was way off and I cursed myself for not getting one of these cool gadgets sooner... that is until I rechecked recently and was shocked at how low the level was. Yes I have calibrated it with the fluid to 35ppt each time I use it. My only guess so far is that the temps are throwing it off. Instead of using the dripper I would just did the tip in the tank then rinse it in cold water at the tap then test another sample on it. This must be the reason for the crazy readings but now I use the dropper and let it sit for a few minutes and I still "just dont trust it" any tips or suggestions for a refractometer newb would be appreciated.
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 11:19pm
Also just to add, what I am really puzzled by is the fact that everything seems so healthy. There are 3 g. chromis, a blue damsel, a bicolour blenny, picasso trigger, 40 snails of 3 varieties, hermits, pepermint shrimp, a few soft corals and monitpora digita and lots of macro algea along with sponges and other misc invertebrates that are all doing well and growing.
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 11:38pm
The fish will do fine all the way down to 10 ppt.  Although you want to keep an eye on your pH.  You won't have the buffering you are used to.  I am not sure about the rest, but I have heard of snails and crabs living through a hyposalinity quarantine (down to around 10 ppt).  Also, as you raise it back up only raise it .003 sg per day.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 2:30pm
Very interesting. Did salinity start out that way or did it slowly drop over time?

The quickest way I've found to use the Refractometer is to dip your finger in the water and let it drip on the lens, flip down the cover, point it into the light to take the reading then wipe the lens and cover softly on your shirt (or a rag Embarrassed). Works reliably every time without further attention. Smile

I'll take your old hydrometer. I give them away to new hobbyists with instruction on how to use them reliably forever.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 3:22pm
Thanks Mark. (BTW that mangrove you had in your old sump was an inspiration to me (I met you once about 4 years ago), I have 3 in the tank now that are finally getting ready to "sprout"). Anyway, I am not sure if it dropped over time - how could that happen without a major flood? The tank is only a month and a week old. There were some minor floods (ofcourse) which is funny because I said to my self "there shall never be another flood" with this tank and took every precaution in its design. But yet I did not forsee my son having "fun in the sump" which only cost me 2 gallons on the floor at the most - so not able to reduce the salinity by this much. So the point is my initial readings were way off

In regards to freshly mixed seawater how long does it take for the salinity to stabalize? I mixed it at 90 degrees perhaps the temp had an effect? But I am sure I rechecked again at 80 degrees.

I think I would rather give you my stupid refactometer - I would rather have a hydrometer that is off by a known factor every time than something that is off by unknown factors at anytime or temp.

Edited by SumpCrab - December 21 2010 at 3:26pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 10:43am
Thanks. We should meet up again. I would like to see that Refractometer to see if we can figure out how you can keep it if it's not broken. Are you coming to the next meeting? It's a frag fest.
I mix up new saltwater and it's there; no waiting. I don't use hot water though, just room temperature.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic