Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Sea Max 130 D Running to Hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
King-Richard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King-Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Sea Max 130 D Running to Hot
    Posted: December 22 2010 at 11:32pm
I just bought the red Sea Max 130D and I'm having problems with high temp. It is running at 83 F or higher if I have the heater switch on.  my house is set at 69 f room temp. I have to keep turning the heater on  and off manually and if I forget it either gets to hot or to cold. The heater is set at 78 f  but cant get it to stay in that range. I really cant afford to buy a chiller at this time so I'm looking for any Ideas Please help.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 11:38pm
Not trying to send you to other websites, but here are a couple that are having the same issue that you are

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/60106-red-sea-max-130d-temperature-problem.html

Also, is the stock cooling fan running all the time? and is it pushing air out or pulling it in?

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 12:14am
your link does not work
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 12:59am
If it where me... Id have that heater dial on 75-76 or so it might just be putting out a bit more heat then its supposed to be

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 1:53am
If you read the manual... with the stock cooling fan, your tank will run at 78 degrees if your house is 72
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 10:54am
I don't even use a heater. I found that if you keep the front lid open all the time it will help keep it cooler.
That was before I bought a chiller. (i think thats one my better decisions...75 deg all the time!!!)

Edited by jmw - December 23 2010 at 11:43am
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 10:59am
The dial on most heaters are not accurate. I have a heater that has to be set to 88 degrees just to maintain 76 in the tank. If your tank is at 76 and the light on your heater is still on turn down the temperature until the light goes off or you hear a click if there is no light.

Heating issues are one of the most common in the hobby and usually when a heater fails it is in the on position. One of the best ways to protect your tank form heating problems is to use a controller, You can get a basic controller for about $100.00 that will operate your lights pumps and give you temperature control. These controllers will turn off the power to the heater when the tank reaches the set point. The controller can even turn on additional fans to help cool the tank when it gets too hot. I highly recommend at least a basic controller for all setups. When you consider the cost of the livestock in your tank it is very cheep insurance.

I have a RSM as well and the problem I have is that my elderly mother needs the house to be at 76 to 78 degrees so the tank runs hot even with the heater off. I had to get a small chiller to keep it cool so a controller won't solve all heating problems but it will give you control over the majority of them.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 10:25am
Welcome to the WMAS King-Richard. I see that you are already a paid member, signed up for this MB last month and that this is your very first post. Clap
My motto is always KISS
Reef aquariums do well at 70-80 degrees, so long as the day-night temperature swing is no more than 5 degrees.
My suggestion is to unplug the heater and watch the temp to see if a heater is even needed. It can go down to 65 and everything, coral/fish/inverts, will be fine. I have a 10 gal Nano in the window that runs at around 70 degrees Smile

The key about heaters, like Burt said, is to realize that the marked temps on the heater are not accurate, just there to give some general idea. Turn the knob slowly in small increments until the light goes out. (If the heater stays on with it adjusted as low as the knob will go it is broken.) After the light goes out, wait a few hours and see if the temperature is where you want it. The ideal temperature setting is 70-75 because that allows the aquarium to warm a little during the day without causing problems. If there is no light or it burned out, turn the knob all the way down and wait for the heater to cool down. Place your hand into the water and wrap it loosely around the heater. Turn the knob in small increments until you feel warmth. You will feel warmth almost immediately when the heater turns on.  Then turn it back one increment and wait a few hours or even a day to see if that temperature stays constant (without extra warmth from lights). Adjust in small increments as needed.

Regarding a controller, there is certainly value to having the ability to automatically shut down the heater and turn on cooling fans when a hobbyist is not around to check on things, but...
Recently a hobbyist here had a controller that went bad.Confused

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 24 2010 at 11:04am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic