Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FlooringGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbon
    Posted: December 27 2010 at 1:29pm
What does carbon do for your tank?
Call me for Carpet, Tile, or Hardwood. (801) 263-9600
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 1:37pm
Absorbs heavy metals, toxins, impurities, and the like.  You have water slowly passing over it and chemicals and toxins are bound to it, which you can then throw out and remove from your tank.
Cucumber climbs the glass --->  gets into a powerhead -----> gets chopped up -----> releases toxins into the tank ----> carbon absorbs toxins ----> fish are still happy

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 1:46pm
Do you always run carbon in your tank?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 1:47pm
I do 24/7 in a reactor!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 2:00pm
How often do you switch out your carbon?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 2:25pm
I put mine in a mesh bag inside my filter sock.  I swap it out every couple months.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 2:26pm
I do mine every 2ish months sooner if I remember.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 2:40pm
I never run carbon, sooo in that case I guess I should right? Is all carbon made the same or is one brand better then the other? 

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 9:55am
Shocked never!!

Activated Carbon(AC) removes a variety of toxins that Algae cannot eat and Skimmers cannot remove. Water changes cannot remove enough of those toxins fast enough. One group of these elusive toxic chemicals that AC snags are those produced by Soft Coral. Those toxins, called Aleopathic chemicals, are used by almost all coral in an attempt to maintain their territory against other coral. In our enclosed systems those chemicals just keep on swirling around and around causing stress for all the coral and sometimes other organisms. AC cleans up and refreshes the water.

I've found that ~2 weeks per month of about a cup of AC per 50 gallons of water is sufficient. It can be placed in a mesh bag in a good flow area of the system. The mesh bags sold at the LFS are too fine of mesh and get clogged too quickly. I use a square of Bridal Veil material from the fabric store, pour the AC onto it, gather the free ends together, wrap an elastic around it, rinse it in the sink and set it in the tank near a powerhead intake or in the sump near the return pump intake.

I also use HOB filters with just a bag of AC or I cut open the top of the HOB filter cartridge, dump out the old AC, add new and rinse it under the tap before placing it back in the HOB.

AC comes in various grades. The cheapest stuff often releases Phosphate(PO4) into the system.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 28 2010 at 10:07am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic