Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Display Refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Display Refugium
    Posted: January 02 2011 at 8:58pm
I'm thinking of doing a display refugium below my DT on a nano I'm putting together. It would be in the stand but there would be a window in the door to see the refugium. Has anyone done this before? Any tips appreciated. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 12:42am
I haven't seen one done in person but have seen several online. Are you thinking of doing a planted fuge with ornamental macro, softies and mangroves? That's kind of where I am headed with my new fuge but it is only viewable from the top. It sounds like a cool idea. I was over at Suzy's Friday and she has a planted tank with about a dozen types of algae and just a few non herbivorous fish. It was a very different looking display than most saltwater tanks.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:19pm
Yep. Ornamental macros. No softies though. I'm trying to find a picture on the other boards as to what I have in mind. I saw it once a while back and just really liked it. I can't find the picture right now.... so I thought I'd see if anyone else had tried it.

-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 3:30pm
I've worked on a 240 gal that had a ~70 gal Refugium that the dentist wanted to have seahorses in. We added all kinds of Macroalgae and started with Banded Pipefish which are hardier, to see how they would do first. The dentist wanted the stand to have portholes, which ended up being too small so that nobody could really see anything inside the Refugium.
My Refugiums are always places where I put all kinds of Macroalgae and even Mangroves where people can see a different type of environment than the main tank. I turn on the Refugium lights for visitors so they can see the bugs and worms crawling all around to escape the light. Smile

You can make it look like this:

Or this:

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 3:44pm
That first pic is more what I had in mind. A pipe fish would be a cool addition.

My plan is to build the stand taller than what is standard. I hate bending down to see into my DT.... bad for the back. Smile I would like the Refugium to be right below the main DT with a window in the door for viewing. Below that will be a standard sump for protein skimmer, heater and pump.

I really like the thought of contrast of a cool blue color from the DT and the bright green from the refugium.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 10:04am
Yeah that second pic is just way cool because of how it shows above and below the waterline of a Mangrove environment and those colorful sponge are awesome to me. Big smile

If it's going to be an RDP Refugium (recommended), then rather than a window, I'd just make the door(s) easy to open anytime to see the Refugium. Also make the light switch easily accessible. I'd have the photoperiods overlap at the time when you are most interested in viewing and showing off your creation, probably in the evening. 8 hours of darkness is plenty for a Refugium. Smile 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 4:55pm
The reasoning for the window in the door is to hide the rest of the equipment that will be around it and the sump below it. I do plan on it being an RDP. I'll figure out a good light cycle so that it's mostly viewable while I'm around. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

jmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 6:15pm
That second picture is way cool, someone needs to set up a display with mangroves sticking out of the top.
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 9:21pm
My DT has a built in refugium and it's working well. I don't have it running on RDP.

Also I current have mangrove growing out of the top my rimless tank. I'm just waiting until it grows big enough. It's going to take some time.Smile
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic