Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hey- First SW tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
J2 digital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey- First SW tank
    Posted: January 04 2011 at 8:49pm
 Hey everyone I am just starting a 10 gal. tank so any input anyone has on lighting/pumps/filters anything like that I would appreciate it aton! And since I'm just starting I am way more on the lower end budget stuff, nothing to fancy... yet

Thanks! 

I can already tell this is the start of something awesome!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 8:52pm
welcome to Utah Reefs.

First of all you want to check out this link to get you started
Reefkeeping tips by Mark Peterson
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 9:37pm
Welcome!
Lots of great people here.  I'd recommend seeing some tanks in your area (I'm in Centerville) but I'd start out seeing tanks similar in size to what you have.  Hope you have a great time here.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 11:03pm
Another soon to be addict in the fam woot! Welcome brother, oh the joys of owning a sw tank. You'll get tons of great info here but don't forget you can walk ten feet and ask me questions anytime too hehe.   

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by J2 digital J2 digital wrote:

Hey everyone I am just starting a 10 gal. tank so any input anyone has on lighting/pumps/filters anything like that I would appreciate it aton! And since I'm just starting I am way more on the lower end budget stuff, nothing to fancy... yet

Thanks! 

I can already tell this is the start of something awesome!

What kind of corals and fish are you going to keep???
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 4:01pm
If you would like, come check out my 225 gallon. I'm in Bountiful.

Let me know. Don't rush into this though, take your time and learn as much as you can before you even put of drop of salt water in your 10 gallon. It will save you money, livestock, and frustration.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - January 05 2011 at 4:04pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 12:44am
Welcome,
Here is a very simply set up 10 gal to drool over. It used inexpensive but awesome Utah Rock:

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 12:04pm
Mark what kind of lights are on that 10 gal?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 12:49pm
Just one 36W Helios pink/blue. UVL has the same thing but the added advantage of internal reflector makes them awesome. I saw them the day after Dion added them to his tank. 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 1:00pm
Welcome to the site. I've got a 12 gallon and live in Bountiful too. If you want to see mine let me know.
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

What kind of corals and fish are you going to keep???

I don't think that my other post went up- I for sure want some montipora and digitata(spelling is off). Other than that I haven't decided what soft stuff I would like to put in there but I know i'll need some to help it get started. I also want to see if I can get some different types of birdsnest to work too down the road.

As far as fish go I know I won't be able to have anything to high class and haven't researched it a lot but I think a firefish, clown, or some sort of damsel would be cool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Lewy Lewy wrote:

Welcome to the site. I've got a 12 gallon and live in Bountiful too. If you want to see mine let me know.

sounds good. maybe next week if your down. what kind of corals/fish do you have? and is your set up a nano cube?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 10:22pm
Mark- I was going to say that is a sweet tank! what kind of fish do you have in it? I read your other post but how did you set up the lighting on it? I think thats about the last thing I need to get mine started.

Edited by J2 digital - January 09 2011 at 3:44am
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 12:02am
mine is a marineland eclipse bow front. the power filter is in the hood. I was going to post a pic but I don't have a good one right now.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 12:13am
May I ask, why a 10 gallon? As a starter tank, nanos can be quite the challenge (a nano is generally a 1-30 gallon salt water aquarium)?

I don't want to discourage you but the less water, the more maintenance. Like a lot more maintenance. The rule of thumb is bigger = easier. If you up to the challenge though, take it on. Just ask lots of questions.

Micah

225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic