Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quality of water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality of water
    Posted: January 08 2011 at 9:57am
Just to give you an idea of whats in my tank. I currently have many zoas, a hammer head coral, a few acans, acouple of leathers and a variaty of mushrooms. I have a flame angle, yellow tang, watchman goby, pipe fish, chromi and a yellow shrimp goby. The tank is new but everything transfered to it has been established for 2+ years. I am testing my water weekly right now to try and understand the fluctuation in the water chemicals. These are my parameters:

Temp-76
sal-1.025
ph-8
alk-10.6 (dkh)
cal-430
mag-1380

This is all I test for. My question is should I be testing for other things and why?

smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 3:58pm
Those numbers look fine as long as your corals and fish look healthy. What's fluctuating and by how much?

Generally as long as parameters are within healthy ranges, it is best if they stay as stable as possible within those ranges.

With the tank having gone through a recent move, there is a chance some of the bacteria and other small life in the tank has been disrupted, that being the case it would be a good idea to make sure your ammonia and nitrites are at zero and your nitrates are low.

Here's a link with healthy parameters.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Again, everything in those ranges are good (as far as what you've measured), but it's best that they fluctuate as little as possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic