Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 10 Gal. Updated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
J2 digital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 10 Gal. Updated
    Posted: January 17 2011 at 4:25am

Very simple but I am more than excited for it so far. Its my first attempt at a tank with a lot of help from my bro- but everything is coming together super well and I love how the rock came together. A lot of the stuff is from walmart and the type of bulb I have is a 50/50 10W coralife seeing how I broke one trying to twist it in. Lesson learned. And I'll have a replacement for it soon I'll post some pics of what I have so far.

Edited by J2 digital - April 07 2011 at 2:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 4:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 4:29am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 8:21am
Here are my comments. I assume you wanted constructive comments.Smile

It needs small rocks to keep the large rocks off the sand.
The powerhead needs to be placed in the lower back corner pointing the stream of water up at the surface.
It doesn't need a heater(or set the heater for between 72-75).
All of this makes the best use of resources and ensures the tank will start off and stay healthy.

Feel free to visit me and I will give you some free LS, LR, Macroalgae and LW to get it started. I'll also give you some small rocks to set the larger rocks on. Just call the number below. I work from home on my own schedule so you can visit anytime.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 11:53am
What are you plans with this tank? What fish do you want to add? Corals?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 12:35pm
Good looking so far!

Mark's right about the powerhead, especially since I don't see a filter. You want to create ripples at the surface for oxygenation and create good flow around the sand bed.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 1:04pm
It has a hang on the back filter, you cant see it because of the glare. The powerhead is old and we couldnt get it to stay pointing up. Either straight or pointing down haha.

The plan is to add another powerhead on the other side that will be pointing up towards the surface to get the ripple effect.   

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 2:10pm
Sounds like you are on your way. What's going into it besides LR and LS? :-)
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 8:43am
I've fixed a powerhead that was loose like that by taking it apart and placing a small piece of thin plastic against the rotating ball to make a tighter fit. I've also cut a notch in the socket to allow the powerhead to point up higher.  It could also be superglued in place.
When there are two less powerful powerheads I point them both up from opposite back corners so that their streams collide at the surface. Seems to work well.

It would be so much better if they made those small screw-in PC's in pink/blue instead of white/blue.
Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 11:53am
Glad to see you starting it, the rock turned out nice. when you get things more stable i have a few frags for you.
90 gallon mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 11:18am
That would be awesome! if you still have any let me know, if you don't have my number pm me and I can send it to you again. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2 digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 2:18am
Updated 4/5/2011

Hey guys obviously I haven't been on in a while but I do have an update with pictures! So far everything looks good and I just moved the tank so while I did I took the opportunity to move the rock around a little bit and like how its turned out so far. Thanks to ksmart I have added a little bit of coral and livestock to my tank including a zoanthid and a mushroom which both have been doing super well!

The mushroom is doing a lot better then when I first got it and stopped messing with my tank. 
-this crab has a little feather duster hitch hiker heh

This is one of the most recent pictures with the powerhead in place. thanks reefboy4life for the rock it worked out great and ksmart for helping me learn how to do everything haha and everyone else who has given me tips and tricks to make this hobby work. 
- side note-If anyone knows where I could get some more CUC like some snails or some other crabs that would be great! I have more pictures but it is now 4/6 and its my birthday! so i'll put more tomorrow

Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 7:20am
Happy B-Day, and tank looks good.
saltlaketank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 1:04pm
That's a pretty cool set up you have there. I may have to post ours up here so Mark can give us some tips. =0
JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic