Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

are britle starfish agresive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: are britle starfish agresive
    Posted: January 17 2011 at 8:43am

My britle starfish is wrapping around my feather dusters... also i got a new firefish and came in this morning and cant find him... this has happened a few times before with other fish the only other fish in the tank are 2 clown fish and the britle starfish... thought they were all comunity fish any help on what is going wrong thanks

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 9:14am
firefish can jump out of the aquarium if its open, i dont think it was the starfish, check around the aquarium to see if you can find the missing fish, i had  dimond goby jump out and i found him under the couch

Edited by davser - January 17 2011 at 9:16am
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 9:22am
I had a large serpent star that would catch fish when they were sleeping.  
Nisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 9:47am
I have a glass top on the tank and checked behind the tank only area that the glass dose not cover and still no fish...I got the britle starfish off the feather duster and the feather duster is almost totally out of his shell on the sand.. is this normal  
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:09am
Is it a green brittle star or black? The green have been known to eat fish and be aggressive. The black are docile and I've never heard anyone report a problem with them.

Also welcome to the board Nisha!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:16am
They're mostly opportunistic when it comes to fish. If the fish is dying they might grab them and finish off the job. This happened with my lawnmower blenny but he was looking skinny and out of it.

With the feather duster, he's probably just hungry. How old is the tank? He might just be hungry and looking for anything.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

go2sleep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2sleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:19am
If he ate your fish his disk should be huge.  It is amazing how big their disk gets after a big meal. Should look like a golf ball.
Steve
Nisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:39am

I have had the tank set up for about 18 months now..It came from someone who had it for more then 3 years, I am really not sure what type he is as he came with the tank, up tell about 3 months ago it was basicly just a reef tank, with the starfish, tuxido urchind,  anenamie, and the two clown fish. oh and the cleaning crew of snails, shrimp, hermit crabs and emerald crabs We have tried to add new fish as a lawnmower goby lasted about 2 weeks, cardnals- one gone in the morning other two by end of the next day. So this firefish was the next try I am not sure what we are doing wrong all the levels are good and everything else looks wonderful… thanks for any help

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 11:36am
Ok. Sounds like you could have a couple of problems not related to the starfish. Like i said, they're opportunistic and they can smell something dying off pretty quick.

3 Things come to mind to check. The first thing would be your water parameters. It would be helpful if you post them and a full tank shot to see if we can spot something you might be missing.

The second thing would be your acclimation process. If you are losing fish within the first couple of days then you might not be acclimating them properly.

The last thing would be, where are you getting your fish? Local reefer? Fish store? If you get them from from a fish store it's important to know how long they have had the fish and if the fish is eating. Sometimes they get them in from the supplier who just got them from Hawaii and the poor thing is stressed to the max, then you buy him and he doesn't make it....
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 2:23pm
Didn't read the posts above buy I've met people who swear green brittles catch and eat fish.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Nikolai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikolai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 1:22am
I had a red and black brittle star mangle my yasha haze goby, I had to pull it out of its arms.  The goby lived, but died a couple days later from injury.  He was a perfectly good health before, but he chose the wrong hole to call his home.  In my experience they are definitely opportunistic feeders.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 11:10am
Sea Stars are not fish, btw.Wink
Keep these Stars well fed and they don't cause any problems. The key is to start this feeding from the beginning or don't keep Large Brittle and Serpent Stars at all, because eventually they will eat something they shouldn't. Once they have discovered how to catch fish it's hard to stop them.

The larger the tank, the less likely they will become a problem, because a larger tank grows more of it's own food.Smile
Nisha, How large is this tankQuestion

Oh, and Welcome to the WMAS/utahreefs Message Board. Please ask us more questions. We can probably help you with almost all your Reefkeeping needs.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 20 2011 at 11:14am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic