Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bubblebuddy747 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblebuddy747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello!
    Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:30am
Hi, 
my name is Peter
I'm new in the forums, though i've been watching for a few weeks.

I ran a 55 gallon reef for about a year and a half, Had to sell it about 7 months ago when I got married, but my wife wanted me to get back into it, so I am!

The new setup is a 90 gallon acrylic with center overflow, wanting to build a stand that's strong enough, but doesn't need a center brace, I already have lights and plumbing, but some things are totally new to me this time around.

I'd really like to be able to start doing some small coral propagation ( lot's of advice needed ), but other than that, keep most everything really simple in general. 

I've read about utah rock and sand and was thinking about checking it out (tips, where can i get some? how much?). I do have to do this on a college student budget Confused, but I'm not gonna let that stop me from getting back into a piece of the ocean!
90G reef
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 11:15am
Welcome to the board Peter!

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you want to do so far. Don't hesitate to ask questions on this board as they come up. As far as Utah rock and sand goes your best bet at this time of year would be to get a hold of Mark Peterson (he's a member here). He has a ton that he usually sells for super cheap. Probably easier then trying to harvest in the winter.

I'm in Orem so if you ever want to come and look at my tanks feel free to stop by.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 11:50am
Peter! WELCOME!

This is a great place for tons of advice dont ever hesitate to ask questions on here. You will find that people from all over the state are more than willing to help!

I used to have a 90 gallon tank before upgrading to a 210! You will love it! There are a few people on there that are doing the small coral propagation and will be able to help out!

I am also in Utah County and if you ever want to come over and talk fish just let me know!

Its great to have you hear and I look forward to seeing your tank be set up.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 4:28pm
Welcome to WMAS! You'll find all the help you need here! 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 4:44pm
Welcome Peter. I think you would be really happy with the Utah sand as it is a lot nicer then I thought it was going to be. I thought that it being here locally it may be a grayish color but, I was wrong, it is a nice and white. As far as Utah rock I am not really familiar with it.

Pam
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 6:30pm
Welcome!! I am in Provo as well so let me know if I can be of any help. I only have a small 34g tank running right now but I have had a bigger one in the past.
The people here are great!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblebuddy747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 10:13am
Thanks a lot everyone! I think I will have to get in touch with Mark about some rock and sand.

I'm pretty excited because last time I started a reef I was kind of on my own, plus books about what to do. 

This time I know what I would have done differently, plus there are people to ask questions to!

I have the basic design for my stand now, I'm still debating about a center brace in the front of the stand or not, I'd like to get away without it if I could, but the people at the hardware store were a bit less than helpful Confused. I'll probably have a sketch of the design options up in the Tank build thread next weekend, and maybe building it the weekend after that!
90G reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 11:35pm

The Reefkeeping Tips below will give you a lot of information.
I have about a ton of LBTR and Utah Oolitic Sand which works awesome in reef aquariums. Just give me a call and come check it out.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblebuddy747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 9:04am
Thanks Mark, I read through the Reefkeeping tips, that's a pretty awesome summary of the things that it took me 2 months to learn last time i wanted to set up a reef tank.

I'm really interested in trying LBTR and utah oolitic sand, I'll probably give you a call this weekend!
90G reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblebuddy747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 6:35pm
Sorry it took me so long to post this, but I wanted to say thanks to Mark, he helped me out with Utah Rock and Sand and gave us a tour of his tanks which we really enjoyed. I'm pretty much ready to start stocking my tank soon thanks to his help!

90G reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 7:07pm
You are very welcome. I wish I had more frags, but feel free to come take a look.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 8:38am
Welcome Peter. If you still have questions on your stand give me a call.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 10:20am
WELCOME!  Another UT County boy huh?  Awesome.  Visit some tanks in your area (you'll be truly inspired) and enjoy the ride.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic