Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm a bit nervous....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm a bit nervous....
    Posted: January 19 2011 at 12:58am
I want to add rock to my tank. I aquired a large piece of LBTR(thanks Arthuriv) and have power washed it. But I'm still a little nervous about putting it in. I will need to also re-arrange a few small rocks in my tank to get desired aquascape. This also makes me nervous. I don't want any ill effects from this.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 2:29am
LBTR is totally safe for our tanks just make sure you cleaned it really good. Dont be nervous.... although I hate aquascaping as wellWink
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 4:11am
I filled a 120 a few years back with 30 gal of live water and maybe 40 lbs of live rock and better than 100 lbs of dead sand,along with 300 lbs plus of LBTR straight off a guys driveway . The same day I added 10 chromis and when I tore the tank down......10 months or so later I still had all 10 of those fish.  Lbtr is a blessing in disguise for us  here locally on a tight budget.  Go for it! As I have said in other posts, You can never have too much live rock!
72 Bow ASM G2 Oceanic1 mag 9.5
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 7:13am
Your concerns are valid. The last time Donna and I collected Oolitic sand we found a few spent .22 shells and clay pigeon fragments in the sand. I related to her how, many years ago, Marcus on this MB complained that the Utah sand he used was crap, that when he pulled it out of his tank to throw it away, he found spent .22 shells in it. Most of us thought it appropriate to mildly chastise him for not cleaning it first.

Cleaning is an absolute must.

As I have explained in the big thread, "Secrets of an Affordable Reef Aquarium" (linked below as Reefkeeping Tips) LBTR must be blasted with a high pressure wash. I take the rock I'm going to use and line it up against the wall at the car wash. I squeeze the handle to get the extra pressure the entire time. The wand tip is 3-6" from the rock. I run down the line of rock moving over every square inch of surface and spend a little extra time in the big holes. Then I turn the rock over and give the opposite side the same detail treatment. Then at least one more turn of the rock to blast any mud out of holes that now may lead all the way through the rock.

Feel free to call and come visit me to compare the piece you have with the best pieces I collect and make available to everyone. If you have any concerns or doubts, you owe it to your future peace of mind regarding your reef, to come see me. Bring the rock with you and if I have a better piece available, I'll trade you straight across.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Eaglefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eaglefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 9:36am
Take Mark up on his offer.  I picked up about 40 lbs. of rock from Mark a few days ago. After washing it good it is really pourous (excellent rock).  I put it in my tank and it did not cloud the water at all.  By the way Mark I need to come get some of that live stuff from you to seed this.
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 12:12am
I'd love to take Mark up on his offer. But I live and work in Tooele Valley and really can't make out his way in a timely manner. But Thanks any way Mark!

I have power washed the heck outta the rock I have. Putting the new rock in isn't what worries me as much as moving the rock that is already in there. I don't want to stir up bad stuff. If that is even a problem.

Am I just overly paranoid? Over thinking this? After the time and limited money invested< I just don't want to un-do it all. Thanks guys!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 10:44am
Sounds to me like you are thinking very responsibly about your tank.Thumbs Up

Any problems that stir things up, in fact any problems that cause an increase in pollution(N levels) can be easily alleviated by the use of algae illuminated in the Refugium 24/7 or with a longer photoperiod in the Display or both. Algae and water plants is Mother Natures very efficient way of cleaning the water. The bacteria also step up and multiply very fast to do their job.

Just about a month ago, I set up a new tank. I followed my own recommendations and used a little LS, LR, Macroalgae and LW. It had a large clump of Chaeto that ate up all problem Nitrogen compounds as quickly as they were produced. This tank never experienced the "Nitrogen Cycle". No brown algae, just clear sailing all the way. Big smile

It has happy SPS, Frogspawn, Zoanthids, Sinularia, Sarcophyton, Favia, Chand a Coco Worm and more.Big smile I wouldn't recommend the SPS Coral for beginners at one month but just wanted to show that setting up a tank this way works great.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 20 2011 at 11:05am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic