Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

moving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: moving
    Posted: January 20 2011 at 2:44pm
It looks like I jumped into the hobby a year too soon.  My tank has been up and running since August and doing well.  Only losses have been a few hermit crabs and snails and some zoas and acans that got eaten.  I haven't had a single fish die (knock on wood) and the majority of my corals have done real well.  Well, now I am moving to AZ.  How difficult is it to move livestock that far?  I have 6 fish, a starfish a RBTA and various corals.  I wanted to get some feedback to see what it would take before I started putting the livestock up for sale.
55g display with 55g sump/refug
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 2:56pm
I seriously would sell the livestock and just move the tank. . .that's just my opinion.  
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 3:00pm
I sold all my live stock tank and all actually with my last move. Upgraded a tank here at the new place. Sure it was across town but was an excuse. I did keep some of the corals that I really wanted though. ITs a great time to upgrade, and start fresh. Also not having to worry about it helps a ton with a move.

I moved from Logan to Eagle MT a couple years ago and moved a tank and it was a pain in the fact that I was worried the whole time of losing something... and it was only a 30 gallon tank. I look at the two different ways Ive done it and will always sell as much as I can including tank and all and upgrade next time again!
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 3:02pm
I agree with Sukie. It can be done - you can move it, but its a huge hassle especially when trying to move your other stuff. If you really want to keep something I'd give it to a friend to hold until you have your tank setup in AZ then have him mail it to you.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 3:32pm
Just like shipping fishes thru mail, get some ice and hot packs on a cooler and fill all of the bags with a lot of oxygen. Always expect something is going to die during the trip, it will make the death more forgiving. I probably frag the corals to have better surviving chances.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 3:58pm
Unless it's truly some prize colonies of coral or super awesome fish, I would sell it all. You're going to have losses with a move that big and could potentially lose it all. Better just to save yourself the hassle.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 4:17pm
Thanks for the advice.  I think I will sell off the livestock and corals.
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 5:17pm
I agree with selling the livestock and moving the tank and equipment, including the RO unit. Replacing hardware is more expensive than moving it. Everything can be packed inside the aquarium.

But I would take some new LBTR with because you can't get that in AZ.Wink

I brought some pretty bare LR back with me from HI and even after waiting almost 2 months in a container without water, some Hawaiian Snails and Hawaiian algae survived and are now growing in my HI-UT nano. Smile

BTW, did you get a new job?

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 20 2011 at 5:18pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 5:21pm
Yup, I miraculously found a new and much better job in the current economic environment...and I'm a banker no less!  Thanks for all the help.  One last question, does anyone know of a marine aquarium society in the Phoenix area?
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 6:54pm
Check reefcentral or just google it. That's how I found WMAS

-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 10:20pm
One of my favorite people in this hobby, a person we have had as a guest more than any other lives in AZ. His name is John Walch. Adam may know of the clubs in AZ.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 9:35am
Thanks for the help everyone.  If you are interested, I will be posting my livestock/corals some time next week in the classifieds.  I have the following that I will be trying to get rid of:

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis)
2 Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (Pomacentridae Amphiprion Ocellaris var)
purple firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
Bicolor Blenny (Blennidae Ecsenius bicolor)
Serpent Sea Star (Ophiocoma sp.)
2 Emerald Crabs (Mithraculus sculptus)
var. hermit crabs and snails
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (entacmaea quadricolor)
Frogspawn (2)
Fluorescent candy cane trumpet
Orange Montipora Cap (Montipora Capricornis)
Midnight Blue Chalice
Hollywood Stunner Chalice (Echinopora lamellosa)
Meteor Shower Cyphastrea (Cyphastrea sp.)
Christmas cloves (Clavularia sp.?)
var. zoas
Armor of god Zoanthidae (Palythoa sp.)
Idaho Grape (Montipora undata)
Acropora
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic