Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jason10012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason10012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello
    Posted: January 21 2011 at 6:26pm
Hi everyone, my name is jason and I'm currently looking to set up a saltwater tank so I've been reading the forums and slowly plotting and planning on what size set up I would like. I currently have two freshwater tanks but I've always wanted a reef tank and so I've been researching this side of the hobby for a couple weeks now in between packing for my move at the end of feb to a bigger apartment. But I do want to say thank you to everyone I've found alot of good advice and information on this site and know more about what I'm getting myself into than what I originally thought lol.

I will be limited in size because I'm moving to a third floor apt. but currently my plans for saltwater are around a 60g-75g tank with at least a 30g sump, if not more in the range of 40g-50g so that I can get closer to the 90g volume everyone recommends for beginners. I've also read alot of good information regarding refugiums so I'm going to include that into my setup as well. As far as lighting I'm still unsure until I get the tank and I know what size I need and how many watts for the coral (which I havent even researched yet as to its needs). The rest of the equipment is easy most of it is based on water volume but I have been looking at asm g2 skimmers and more of the top end equipment, I'd rather buy one piece of $$$ equipment than 10 cheap pieces that will only cost me more in the long run. Its going to take some time before I'll have anything to take pictures of but at least its in the planning stages Big smile
30 gallon nano
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 10:47pm
Welcome! Make sure you visit a few members in your area and get a look at their set up. You wouldn't believe what a big difference it makes
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 10:55pm
Welcome Jason. You are more than welcome to visit my tanks i am located in centerville. Feel free to ask any questions that you have. Bigger the tank you can have the easier it will be to maintain. The initial price may be higher but it will be worth it on the long run.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 12:15am
Welcome Jason!  Nice to have you here.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 8:08am
There are plenty of people here to help out if you need it. Welcome!
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 10:38am
yes welcome... i live in murray, if you ever wanna swing by and talk reefs feel free
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 11:25am
Welcome.
I'm in Murray too and I need to walk over and visit badfingerSmile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jason10012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason10012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 7:54pm
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the invites to come and look at your tanks I would love to see them. The only bad part is I work graves and my days off are wed and thurs and i have all day fri. so maybe we can work something out.
30 gallon nano
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 8:29pm
I get off around 4 everyday... so hit me up whenever you can make it over... after 4 or weekends. Also mark ya come over whenever... I am about 3 min from brad syphus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic