Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alk Dosing _Combined Recipe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alk Dosing _Combined Recipe?
    Posted: January 23 2011 at 11:21am
I have been looking for a recipe that gives the proper amounts of bakind soda and washing soda (soda ash) for 1 gallon.  I have found the standard recipes that show mixing solutions independently, or even the 1:5 ratio of soda ash to baking soda.

Does anyone know how much of each to add to 1 gallon of water to make the combined recipe?
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 1:56pm
I know its not what your asking... but I use kalkwasser and it adds both my calcium and alk, at the levels coral will intake them. Once I started using this it made my life easier and my coral grow. I just add it with all my top off water (I do have a ato and so I never really have to dose) but I do add aquavitro 8.4 and calcium chlroide once a week... cause kalk only maintains cal/alk levels, its not supposed to raise it.

The trick with kalkwasser is just figuring out how much your tank uses
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 2:23pm
I haven't used it yet, but I found this...

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 3:37pm
There is no need to worry about it. Yes, 1 part washing soda(baked baking soda) to 4 or 5 parts baking soda is the ratio and about 1/2 cup of it will dissolve in a gallon of RO water, but please let me help you be sensible about this.

The truth is, Baking Soda by itself is just fine. The only reason some people use a mixture of the two is because of the tiny temporary drop in pH that occurs with baking soda alone. But honestly, the temporary drop is nothing to be concerned about. We are always stressing here on the MB that when there is good flow and gas exchange at the water surface the pH is fine and does not even need to be checked. We also talk about pH being better when Alk is good. So even when using baking soda alone, that is still the case. The tank won't even notice. The slight drop in pH only lasts for an hour and ends up being improved anyway because Alkalinity is being increased.

Please don't worry about the amount of baking soda to dissolve in RO water. Just add 1/4 cup and then a little more until you see that it's saturated and some undissolved Baking soda is on the bottom. Whatever is left will dissolve later when some of the solution is poured into the tank and the container is refilled with RO water. No harm, nothing to worry about.

I hope this makes sense and puts you more at ease. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:05pm
Thanks - I wasn't stressed.  Smile  I may as well use washing soda too as I have it on hand.  (wife uses it to make laundry detergent)  I'll throw in a couple Tbs with the Baking Soda and call it good.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:16pm
Cool
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic