Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a bit of Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a bit of Help
    Posted: January 23 2011 at 6:09pm
I have a new 45 gallon tank with just live rock and would love to get any suggestions on some really pretty Coral and fish that would compliment each other and make my tank Glow!!

also how long should i cycle the tank till i can put coral and fish in it?  can i put fish and coral in it as long as the chemical levels ( PH, Calcium, Ammonia, ect ..)  are good? 

Thanks 

justin williams
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 7:56pm
Welcome Justin,

Before adding fish to the system you want to wait until there is no detectable Ammonia or Nitrite. Then it's best to go slowly and allow the tank to stabilize before adding more livestock. Just how long the cycle will take depends on many factors including the condition of the live rock, whether you used live sand and water and your filtration.

Can you tell us a little more about your tank. What type of lighting, filtration equipment, do you have a sump, skimmer etc? Some pics of the tank would also be nice. As soon as you see the first signs of algae pick up a good CUC (clean up crew). Shawn at Aquatica sells CUC packages based on the size of your tank.

You can start off with a few soft corals and easy LPS but let your tank mature before adding more demanding corals especially SPS. Mushrooms, Zoanthids, Xenia and Kenya Trees are all easy corals and good candidates for a newly setup tank. Euphilia (Frog Spawn, Hammer, Torch) are good LPS to start with.

While your tank is cycling go check out some members tanks. You can see what others are doing and get some good advice and maybe even score some free frags. We're always happy to show off our systems and talk fish. I live in Eagle Mountain and if you can make it out this way I'd be happy to show you my tanks.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:01pm
Welcome to the board Justin! My name is also Justin and I also happen to have a 45 gallon tank . . . and I live in Orem as well. Are you me? Did I make this post in some alternate timeline?

Seriously though everything I said is true. Feel free to stop by and see my tank. I've had it setup for two years and it's looking pretty sexy these days. I can answer any questions that you have.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:51pm

wow thank you so much for the suggestions,  that is crazy that your name is Justin as well , i want to meet you just because of that lol :) well for sure i would love to come see your tank and get some ideas, that would be great! here is my cell, text me and ill come by this week if thats ok. :)

Thanks again I am excited about my new Hobby.

Sincerely

Justin

justin williams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:52pm

wow thank you so much for the suggestions,  that is crazy that your name is Justin as well , i want to meet you just because of that lol :) well for sure i would love to come see your tank and get some ideas, that would be great! here is my cell, text me and ill come by this week if thats ok. :)

801-691-8146

Thanks again I am excited about my new Hobby.

Sincerely

Justin

justin williams
justin williams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:53pm

That would be great!!!!  thanks so much! ya i would love to see what you have and pick your brain.  i am just getting started and so excited about it! :) here is my cell if you want to text me your address , i would love to come by later on in the week

801-691-8146

Sincerely

Justin

justin williams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:54pm
801-691-8146
justin williams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 11:39pm
hey justin, where are you located in orem_ i would love to come see your tank for sure.
justin williams
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 11:49pm
PM Sent
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic