Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to identify tempered glass?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to identify tempered glass?
    Posted: January 25 2011 at 8:54pm
Hi all... so my project is being updated again.. 75 is out and a 120-125 is in the house.. ! :)  I picked it up tonight, it's an older tank, glass center brace that's about 12-15 inches wide.  The gentleman I picked up the tank from has had it running for 5 years and bough it at a garage sale before that.  Tank is not pre-drilled... where the question of the day comes from.

How do I identify if the bottom pane is tempered.. there is no warning label or ink mark as I've seen on other tanks... BUT there may have been and it's since worn off.  I'd really like to be able to go through the bottom, but hesitate as I can't tell on the glass...

Anyone have a good way to tell?
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 9:52pm
You could try drilling it, and if it shatters then it is tempered...LOL
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 10:12pm
I read some where one time, if you have polarized sun glasses and a lap top it's fairly easy. put the lap top (turned on) behind the glass and put on the polarized sun glasses and if you see "spider webs" through the glass looking at the laptop screen it's tempered. I've never tried it so don't put too much stock in it.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 10:16pm
I have heard of the method Lewy described. I am betting it is tempered thoughWink
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 10:51pm
I think lewy is right... try that let us know
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 10:53pm
It's most likely tempered. If you aren't sure don't drill unless you're prepared to loose the tank. I had a 55 gallon that I bought used and was labeled as tempered on the bottom so I decided to drill the back and found out the hard way that all 5 sides were tempered on that tank. Angry
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 8:59pm
Well, I did the laptop/polarized lens deal.. wasn't sure for quite a while because every pane of glass I looked through appeared the same, so either they all are or they're not... Thinking of Burts post... I wasn't ready to take the gamble... yet.  Sitting frustrated looking at the tank, I see my 75 sitting on the floor with a big ugly orange sticker yelling TEMPERED... Lamp I take a peek through the bottom of that glass and see a huge difference!  So the 125... according to the test is NOT tempered.. all 5 panes!

STILL I get nervous about drilling (though I've done before) but that's part of the fun right?

Anyone have 59mm Diamond Hole saw they'd loan out? OH and advice that's not too big a hole for the bottom of a tank is it? considering its not done by the MFG?
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 10:36am
As long as the glass isn't tempered a 59mm hole should be fine. I drilled a 3" hole in the side of a 20 Gallon tank for a 2" bulkhead fitting. Good luck.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic