Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrong Place?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrong Place?
    Posted: January 25 2011 at 10:07pm
Guess I posted in the wrong place. Seems to be a big concern that BW..........no wait everybody's in agreement.....I don't know. So can you help me ID this? Is it a sponge? It is really more black in color.

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 11:01pm
Looks like it could be sponge but it could also be black algae. I had some black algae once on my LBTR but it only lasted a few weeks then went away.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 11:56pm
Could be a black sponge. Is it anywhere else in the tank or just that one spot? Have you tried blowing at it with a turkey baster to see if it comes off like it would were it algae?
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 2:24am
have you touch it? if it squishy it most likely a sponge. looks like a sponge to mee
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 6:42am
That is Sponge. The pointy bumpiness is what tells me that. Sponge has in and out siphons and water channels all through it that give it that appearance. The more mature a tank becomes, the more Sponge you will find growing on the underside of rock, sometimes cementing adjoining rocks together. It generally likes darker areas. It comes in many colors. Sponge is a very good thing. It filters the water and helps bring stability to the system. Thumbs Up

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 26 2011 at 6:44am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 9:01am
I moved all my rock from one tank to another tank. This sponge was in places that were in dark areas and between rock joints. I have quite a bit of this on many rocks. There is also some that is white in color, Wonder if that is sponge as well. I'll post a pic tonight. Will this sponge die now that it is out in the light? 

Edited by jmw - January 26 2011 at 9:46am
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 10:39am

Sponge for sure.  In a mature reef tank, this type of sponge is what holds most of the rock together.  You won't even realize it until you take the tank down or remove the rock. Then, you find you have to rip the sponge as it has grown between rocks.  Its a good sign of a healthy system!  You'll find similar sponge in nearly all colors - yellow, pink, white, black, etc. etc.

BTW - thanks for post pics!  It makes it much easier to understand exactly what you're talking about!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic