Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Suggestions on Coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Suggestions on Coral
    Posted: January 27 2011 at 11:56pm
so my new 45 gallon tank is looking goos and the levels are good as well.  I would like to start easy and get more advanced down the road seeing that i am still quite the Rookie here lol :) i would like to start adding some really nice coral that is not too expensive as well as a few fish.  Any suggestions on really bright and pretty coral that is good for me to start with and not too expensive??  i really want to make my tank light up with really nice coral/reef.

justin williams
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 12:00am
Well, softies are the easiest to start with. I would go with some really nice ricordias or zoanthids or a nice green nepthia. If you want to be a little more daring your could put in a nice frogspawn or hammer coral
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 12:27am
Depending on how you set up the tank you can introduce all kinds of coral. I set up a tank just a little over a month ago using the method I talk about in the thread linked below and I have all kinds of coral doing well, even the more difficult ones. I have Green Sinularia frags for $5-10. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 2:03am
I started with zoas, mushrooms and gsp all still alive and thriving today. Then when I learned about reef chemistry I started adding sps and lps.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 2:18am
I would suggest to go to Reefrunners down at orem. Smile
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:28am
Ya, or fish 4 U on highland drive down in murray.
I would start w/ zoas, they can be really cool and,
they cover the rocks. Also if you have actinic blue
or blue LED lighting, the oranges, yellows, and greens
really POP on zoas. I would highly recommend eagle eye
zoanthids (like $1 a head) and just 1 kind of zoas
you think are cool that you find in store.
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 10:59pm
I am with mark just go for it lol . My suggestion is too get a montipora and start there after its growing good start to branch out
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic