Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings
    Posted: January 28 2011 at 4:41pm
Greetings folks..  My name is Shad and I live in West Jordan.  I've been fascinated with salt water aquariums for 20 years, but never actually got in and bought/built one.  It was always a question of time, money, etc..  I find that neither is as much of an issue any more, so I've decided to "get my feet wet" as it were. 

After doing some research, reading the forums here, and elsewhere on the internets, I'd like to start off small..  I'm planning on picking up a 10 gallon tank and all the necessary accessories this weekend, and start building a nano reef with the assistance of my 15 yr old daughter.  If we can get this tank up and running and keep everything alive, we will eventually graduate to a larger tank...

Any suggestions on what to start with?  I'm planning on heading out to Stansbury to get some sand and rocks, do I need 4wd to get out there this time of year?  Where should I pick up some LR, LW, etc?

Thanks!

Edited by Shad - January 28 2011 at 4:42pm
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 4:45pm
Hey Shad,
 Welcome! If you need someone to show you were to go we would be more then happy to take you out there. The first time we went out we didn't go far enough. Let us know and we would be happy to go with you.
 Troy and Pam
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 4:45pm
BTW we live in Grantsville so it's not too bad from here :)
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 4:46pm
I would just call Mark and buy some off of him. It'll be better quality than you can easily find and the cost is more than reasonable.

Get your equipment together or make a list and ask here for opinions before you buy. That can save you quite a bit of money.

-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 5:22pm
Someone here had posted a link to a youtube series done by a guy in Hawaii where he used basic components from Wal-mart..  I was planning on using his guide for the start...  Once I get up to introducing life, I'll have a ton of questions.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 6:09pm
Welcome to WMAS, any questions or help you need feel free to ask!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 6:21pm
I'd highly recommend checking out some tanks.  Lots of people in your area.

I'm in Centerville, and you are welcome to come anytime.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 6:25pm
Welcome to the WMAS!!!

Give me a call or PM. I live in Tooele and have a FWD truck and can take you out to the spots and anyone else that would like to go! I can also hook you up with some LW, some LS, some caulerpa and cheato, and maybe even some LR. My number is: 435-830-4514 and my name is Arthur.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:46pm
I would give you my big Welcome Fish, but I notice that you have been here a long time. Big smile

Oh well you deserve the welcome after having lurked here almost forever. Wink

That Walmart components tank sounds interesting. What's the link.? I'd be interested to see how it compares and what I might learn from it.

Okay, I searched and found one where they show buying a $43 10 gal starter kit at walmart. I can already see how I could do it cheaper, faster and better. Feel free to contact me about it. The big problem I see with the tank in that video is it will have insufficient flow and and two unneeded pieces of equipment.

The Oolitic Sand is fairly easy to collect without a 4X4 (if you call me while out there, I can direct you) but it's difficult for people to find good Utah rock these days. You are in luck. I have plenty. Feel free to visit me, see my tanks and learn more about the use of Utah Rock and Oolitic sand. I can even send you home with a free frag of Green Sinularia mounted on LR, with some LS and the necessary algae to put in your new tank. It will do just fine in a jar until the tank has water.Smile

Tell you what. I love doing this. Come visit me and I'll give you free sand and free rock for a 10 gal tank. I even have a small pump that would do awesome. I'll bet someone here on the MB has a 10 gal tank for $5 and I have a $10 pump that would do awesome. Then all you would need is the $8 light&fixture from Home Depot.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 28 2011 at 8:32pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 8:34pm
Holy Crap!  Mark is right.... you joined in 2004??????  WOW!!!!!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 1:27am
He he..  Yeah..  I guess I first signed up on the site a long time ago..  I told you, I've been fascinated and wanted to put together a reef for a long time..  Came close to pulling the trigger a few times, but just never did it..  But yeah, I've lurked a long time, and have had other interests take some of my time over the past few years..

The link for the guy on youtube is: http://www.youtube.com/user/ipsfdotcom 

So the wife and I went on a "fact finding" mission this evening.  Came home questioning my little plan..  They had the tank kit that this guy used at Petsmart for $24, for the tank and the hood, but without the filter.  Wife noted that the 10 gal tank was 'puny' and thought it was kinda ugly on top of that.  Plus we'd have to buy some kind of furniture to put it on..  We've decided the front room is the best location as it has less traffic, and is a place that we can sit and enjoy the tank, so it has to look nice.. 

We started to entertain the idea of a larger tank...  They had this one that we liked..  Comes with both the tank and the stand, but no filtration system...  I'm sure we'd have to upgrade lights too.. 

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804460&lmdn=Fish+Aquariums+%26amp%3B+Bowls

We even looked at a couple larger tanks, but I don't want to spend that much on my first outing...   Next stop was Walmart.  Pretty much a bust..  Some of the same stuff as Petsmart, but with the addition of obnoxious teenagers..  :(  I really hate that place.. 

I spent some more time this evening on the KSL classifieds, but didn't see anything that really peaked my interest..  Nothing within my budget anyway..  So now I'm just not sure again.  I may take some of you that are close by up on your offer to visit..  Anyone available tomorrow?  (Saturday)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic