Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help: 100% silicone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help: 100% silicone
    Posted: January 30 2011 at 9:06pm
Hey guys, I got a tube of 100% silicone 1 (white) at walmart and it was the only one that didn't say it was antifungal or mold on it. But then when Im about to use it I read in tiny type, "not for use below water lines on aquariums" is this safe to use? Do they all say that (dont use this in an aquarium already full of water?)

Edited by Spbeyond - January 30 2011 at 9:10pm
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 9:27pm
Heres what you want
GE Type 1 100% silicone Window and door.
I have used this many times. I have only used clear. Never had the need for white. It says not for aquariums use for liability reasons. If yuu are worried still Lowes sells a Dap aquarium silicone in a squeeze tube.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_47209-72643-LW012A_0__?productId=3070881&Ntt=silicone&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dsilicone

Edited by Roy - January 30 2011 at 9:29pm
90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 10:21pm
Yes, the silicone will only stick to dry surfaces but is the best stuff for sealing glass aquariums. They simply use that statement to protect themselves from antagonistic people that want to blame somebody else for their own mistakes or stupidity when it leaks.
If you have a wet surface like an acrylic or glass baffle that needs to be bonded or strengthened, inside a wet or full sump superglue gel works. It bonds to acrylic and glass.

I agree with Roy. It's totally okay as long as it has no anti-mold/fungus ingredient. That could kill things in the tank as well as keep algae from growing. Not a good thing. Ouch

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 30 2011 at 10:25pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 10:26pm
As was mentioned above, GE Silicone I is what you want. I've used it on lost of tanks!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic